Looking for some advice on wings with using vortex on Weber Summit

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

mrad

Meat Mopper
Original poster
SMF Premier Member
Sep 27, 2012
Princeton, MN
Tomorrow will be my first try at wings. I plan on using my Weber Summit and vortex. What temps do you cook at and roughly how long?
Do I want to let the wings dry in the fridge overnight? Any other tips???

I don't have a vortex, but on either my Napoleon or pellet I go around 350-375. I seem to recall 45 minutes or so, but I always take the dark meat to past the 180-185 mark. I think the meat isn't as rubbery then and falls off better at that temp.

Dry brining over night, on a wire rack is usually what I do with all of my meats. Really will help with crispy skin too.

I’ve never seen the vortex used on anything other than a kettle. For wings you can leave them in the fridge for a few hours to help dry out the skin for crispy skin

All good info. It it very easy to make great wings on the vortex. Here is a recent thread:
There are many others if you want to search.

Vortex+45-60 min= tasty chicken wings. There are some other tricks to add to make it your own, but there is the most important 2.

I don't have a vortex so no help there. Yes it does help to dry the wings. I use the pellet smoker at the firehouse when we do wings for the guys....matter of fact, we are doing some wings tomorrow night. BTW, this sauce from Chef jimmyj (R.I.P.) is awesome on smoked wings!!

Cream Soda and Bourbon Sauce

1/2C Dark Brown Sugar
1C Cream Soda*
1/3C Ketchup
1/3C Bourbon
1/4C Balsamic Vinegar
2Tbs Soy Sauce
1Tbs Mustard of choice
1Tbs Your Rub
1Tbs Sriracha or Canned Chipotle Adobo Sauce
S & P to taste
* Cola or Ginger Ale would be great too!

Combine all in a sauce pan. Heat over medium heat to a simmer. After 5 minutes, the sauce can be cooled for Injection. For a Glaze or Sauce, continue to simmer, stirring often, until Syrupy. Cool and refrigerate the remaining sauce.

chefjimmyj

So did you try a vortex on the Summit gasser? Never heard of even trying that. I have done on kettle per JckDanls 07 JckDanls 07 post and turned out great. Also good on the RT … smoked low for 20 min then cranked up temp to finish. Kettle/vortex was better.

^ There is a Summit Kamado also. Agree, it is a bit confusing for Weber to use the same name on 2 grills.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky