Looking for a new smoker....

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

millerbuilds

Master of the Pit
Original poster
SMF Premier Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
May 13, 2013
Little Elm, TX
I currently have a Old Country Stick burner and a Pit Barrel Cooker. My Old Country has served me well, but the factory paint job was less then stellar and I have fought leaks over the years (spent tons of time and money re-sealing it). I am at the point that I either need to grind down all the paint, re-build the fire box door, and still fight the leaks or just throw in the towel and buy another smoker. With a family and all of the activities, staying up all night tending a fire is no longer feasible and the PBC being too small for big cooks.... I am looking at replacing the stick burner with a cabinet style smoker. I am looking at the following units and would like to hear some feedback
Assassin 17
Stumps Baby
BBQ Guru Shotgun

Thoughts/comments/feedback?

Thanks!

Smoke ON!

- Jason

Hello,
I was wondering if you had considered a pellet smoker. I have a REC TEC BULL and it is truly a "SET IT AND FORGET IT" smoker in regards to temps. Built like a tank. Stainless steel on everything. And their customer service is simply the best there could be!! I love it! Some will try to say a pellet smoker doesn't give you enough smoke....Ill have to say that is false in my experience. Ill attach a pic of my ribs and beef I did on it. The smoke ring is fantastic!!
Just a thought.

IMG_2370.jpg
IMG_2478.jpg

Hello,
I was wondering if you had considered a pellet smoker. I have a REC TEC BULL and it is truly a "SET IT AND FORGET IT" smoker in regards to temps. Built like a tank. Stainless steel on everything. And their customer service is simply the best there could be!! I love it! Some will try to say a pellet smoker doesn't give you enough smoke....Ill have to say that is false in my experience. Ill attach a pic of my ribs and beef I did on it. The smoke ring is fantastic!!
Just a thought.

View attachment 400986 View attachment 400987
I have an electric that I use pellets in, Since I already have wood/charcoal for my PBC and our wood fired grill, I want to stick with the wood & charcoal combo.

If I was in the market for a pellet grill/smoker it would be the REC Tec. Everyone I know who has them loves them!

- Jason

Reactions: NU2SMOKE
Check out Lone Star Grillz cabinet smokers. Made in Willis TX and have a good reputation. Close enough to your location to rent a trailer if you don't own one and save the freight charges.

Reactions: millerbuilds
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky