Looking at new Smoker - Thoughts?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

neusmoker

Original poster
May 6, 2013
Northeast Ohio
Hello Everyone,

I had a Masterbuilt XL that finally bit the dust so I've decided to get a new smoker. I've been looking at Camp Chef and Smoke Hollow.

Models:
Camp Chef - Smoke Vault 24"
Smoke Hollow - Model 44241G2 - 44"

Once I got used to the Masterbuilt, I feel I did pretty good with it. I changed out the chip pan to a cast iron griddle and mainly used chunks or logs. I changed the water pan out to something that held more than 10 drops of water. I only took advantage of it's size a few times but I liked it.

I was thinking it might be nice to have the 2 doors but I've read the Smoke Hollow can use a lot more LP. I like the idea of getting to higher temps as I tend to do a fair amount of poultry and the idea of rendering the skin properly is appealing.

I'm split between which one to get and would love some input!

Thanks!

I had the Smoke Vault 18 and I put a needle valve on it. Even though it was propane I still felt like it needed constant attention and the temps weren't easy to control. I moved on to a kamado after a few months because I wanted to better control the temps. If you are set on a cabinet smoker I would suggest that you check out the Pit Boss Copperhead line. Lots of capacity and it can get the high temps you want for poultry.

Reactions: snakyjake
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky