Location of thermometer

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Chiefsfan

Fire Starter
Original poster
May 7, 2023
I have a Landsmann Elec. smoker, not sure the thermometer is working.. So I purchased a LavaLock 3 inch thermometer. The smoker has several shelves inside.. Where is the best place to install the new thermometer and do I need any type of gasket as it didnt come with one, just a large nut? It is insulated, its thick..

Personally, I would Fire up the smoker and let it settle in on set temp, then I would put the thermometer on the rack at the top for 15-20 minutes to get a reading, then move it to the middle rack, get a reading then to the bottom. This will give you an idea of temp variation top to bottom, write that down for reference. Then I most likely would install the thermometer in the center of the door.

Personally, I would Fire up the smoker and let it settle in on set temp, then I would put the thermometer on the rack at the top for 15-20 minutes to get a reading, then move it to the middle rack, get a reading then to the bottom. This will give you an idea of temp variation top to bottom, write that down for reference. Then I most likely would install the thermometer in the center of the door.
Yeah I can try that... Was wondering....I assume heating the wood chop box up which sits rover the heating element helps in the heating of the smoker itself.. Have you or anyone used this if more smoke is wanted? https://www.homedepot.com/p/A-MAZE-N-5x8-in-Smoker-Maze-AZACC005840064/301426353

Most of us with electric smokers have been using Amazen trays or tubes since they were invented.

I use a ubolt modified tube burning dust.

Many will use them in the mailbox mod.

Most of us with electric smokers have been using Amazen trays or tubes since they were invented.

I use a ubolt modified tube burning dust.

Many will use them in the mailbox mod.
So would one use it INSTEAD of the small chip box over the element or use them both ? And would u just sit it on a shelf in the smoker ? does it produce heat as well or just smoke?

I need to drill a hole to install my new Thermometer(LAVALOCK) I know this sounds like a dumb question but what type drill bit is used, its like a 1/2 inch hole or bigger..

Can you use the same hole as stock therm? A standard metal drill bit will go thru the thin metal easily. Many folks ignore stock therm and buy some sort of wireless/wifi thermometers with several probes to monitor meat and smoker temp. Can then look at temps from the comfort of your couch.

Reactions: JLeonard
Can you use the same hole as stock therm? A standard metal drill bit will go thru the thin metal easily. Many folks ignore stock therm and buy some sort of wireless/wifi thermometers with several probes to monitor meat and smoker temp. Can then look at temps from the comfort of your couch.
Look at Inkbirdbbq Inkbirdbbq , they are a sponsor here. I have used their 4 probe wifi therm pretty heavily over the last 3 yrs with out a hiccup. And it is nice to use one of the probes set for high and low limits to let you know if some thing goes awry in the smoker.

Jim

No my thermometer/Time etc is all digital on the front door panel.Like a control panel, theres nothing protruding inside like a traditional one Ive seen.. Therefore there are NO HOLES>

I need to drill a hole to install my new Thermometer(LAVALOCK) I know this sounds like a dumb question but what type drill bit is used, its like a 1/2 inch hole or bigger..
You will just have to measure the thread stub and drill a hole just slightly larger. A stepped drill bit is handy for this if the door isn’t insulated. Also take into consideration that the thermometer sensor shaft doesn’t interfere with a rack level.

You will just have to measure the thread stub and drill a hole just slightly larger. A stepped drill bit is handy for this if the door isn’t insulated. Also take into consideration that the thermometer sensor shaft doesn’t interfere with a rack level.
I also was thinking maybe a hole saw. Ill need to do a 7/8 hole..Not sure exactly where to do this, Maybe half way up on the side? Guess I could to on the top but not sure that temp is accurate at the top.. I have 4 racks and the door latches, is pretty tight..

I also was thinking maybe a hole saw. Ill need to do a 7/8 hole..Not sure exactly where to do this, Maybe half way up on the side? Guess I could to on the top but not sure that temp is accurate at the top.. I have 4 racks and the door latches, is pretty tight..
I would keep the therm centralized. Top or bottom is misleading. That’s why I suggested you run the cooker and test top, middle and bottom then install the therm central (middle) and have notes as to what the difference is from there to the top and bottom. Btw, most step drill bits go to 7/8”

Sorry I misunderstood with my earlier post. You have a large dial thermometer you're trying to fit into the door, not our normal probe thermometers like we stick in meat.
Usually dial thermometers are mounted on the front door, but a side wall works too so it's not moving and possibly hitting your meat. But you'll need to have access to read it on a side wall so that's why vendors don't put them there.
If you go with the door, make sure you don't mount it where it could hit a shelf, or a large piece of meat, but just below where a shelf would be.
If it's electric, it's probably double (but thin) wall construction...that gives better thermal insulation and electric smokers are generally starved for power so can't waste any with single walls.
7/8 hole sounds like it has a 1/2" National Pipe Thread boss on it. You'll need to drill a .875" (actually probably .840) in the outer wall and then you'll need an even larger hole on the inner wall so you can get a socket or wrench on the nut that tightens it to the outer thin wall. Can you exchange it for something with a smaller boss? Do you have a nut for it?

Sorry I misunderstood with my earlier post. You have a large dial thermometer you're trying to fit into the door, not our normal probe thermometers like we stick in meat.
Usually dial thermometers are mounted on the front door, but a side wall works too so it's not moving and possibly hitting your meat. But you'll need to have access to read it on a side wall so that's why vendors don't put them there.
If you go with the door, make sure you don't mount it where it could hit a shelf, or a large piece of meat, but just below where a shelf would be.
If it's electric, it's probably double (but thin) wall construction...that gives better thermal insulation and electric smokers are generally starved for power so can't waste any with single walls.
7/8 hole sounds like it has a 1/2" National Pipe Thread boss on it. You'll need to drill a .875" (actually probably .840) in the outer wall and then you'll need an even larger hole on the inner wall so you can get a socket or wrench on the nut that tightens it to the outer thin wall. Can you exchange it for something with a smaller boss? Do you have a nut for it?
Yes I have kinda checked the location out and it will fit on the side fine I think between a couple shelves. It is a 3 inch probe, and yes I have a nut. I bought a step drill bit, I was needing to get one anyway. I thought about the door too but it is thicker than the side..They sent me a Bung too in case I was gonna weld it in but Im not.. It screws on too but I wont need it..But I may need a washer, not sure yet.

I'm assuming your side wall is double wall and you're only attaching that 7/8 thread to the outer wall. And your step drill bit will work to drill a 7/8 hole. But think through how big a hole you need in the inner wall.
Your 7/8 thread is probably 1/2 NPT but a 7/8 UNF nut works pretty well; they're both 14 threads per inch. A 7/8 nut is typically 1-5/16 across the flats so you'll need a 1-5/16 socket. Mine's 1-3/4" outer diameter so the inner wall hole needs to be at least that large and concentric with the outer (smaller) hole. Thats a very big step drill so you'll probably need a metal-cutting hole saw for that.
Just want to make sure you've thought this all through before you start drilling.
You'll probably want a half pad of steel wool to plug that large inner hole when you're done or you'll probably lose a lot of heat where you've sacrificed your double-wall insulation properties.

I'm assuming your side wall is double wall and you're only attaching that 7/8 thread to the outer wall. And your step drill bit will work to drill a 7/8 hole. But think through how big a hole you need in the inner wall.
Your 7/8 thread is probably 1/2 NPT but a 7/8 UNF nut works pretty well; they're both 14 threads per inch. A 7/8 nut is typically 1-5/16 across the flats so you'll need a 1-5/16 socket. Mine's 1-3/4" outer diameter so the inner wall hole needs to be at least that large and concentric with the outer (smaller) hole. Thats a very big step drill so you'll probably need a metal-cutting hole saw for that.
Just want to make sure you've thought this all through before you start drilling.
You'll probably want a half pad of steel wool to plug that large inner hole when you're done or you'll probably lose a lot of heat where you've sacrificed your double-wall insulation properties.
Yes Ive already drilled the holes and the inner hole is larger.. I actually bought a couple larger (than the hole) washers that are heat resistant that Im installing

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky