Lipstick on a pig (cow) my first sous vide experience.

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

fxsales1959

Master of the Pit
Original poster
SMF Premier Member
Dec 17, 2019
PembrokePines, FL
As a preface, this was my first attempt at sous vide cooking. I purchased the #Inkbird 1000 W sous vide appliance on Amazon. It is a substantial unit, and both the appliance and the associated app worked flawlessly for my first cook. Being excited about a new toy I had to give it a trial run, and figured a couple of ribeyes would be a good way to go. Knowing there was a possibility that I would F’ things up I was torn between buying the $14.99 prime ribeyes or dealing with the everyday choice $9.00 a pound boneless ribeyes. I went with the more affordable option figuring its steak and I’ll eat it anyway.

I seasoned the steak as I normally would with a generous helping of SPG, and a hint of grated fresh garlic.

I then put the steaks in a suck bag(vacuum sealed). I got my stockpot filled with warm water and set the temperature on the Sous vide to 130°, as that is typically in the range where I liked my little less than medium rare steaks. I set the timer at an hour and ½ just to be sure because most tutorials said an hour would probably suffice. As mentioned earlier, the unit and the app performed flawlessly with temperature tests proving to be spot on. After completion of the cooking process I let the bag sit for a few minutes and prepared my cast iron skillet on the side burner of the grill. I added a couple tablespoons olive oil and a few shakes of rosemary and thyme. When the smoke started to roll, I added the steaks and gently pushed to make sure they were searing completely. About a minute on each side then I pulled them and put them on my carving board for a photo OP. I must say, to the eye they looked like money, though slightly overcooked for my liking. Upon the slicing into dinner I found the steaks to be tougher than I expected, even though they looked marvelous. As the title of this post says, you can put lipstick on a pig (cow) and it is still a cow. I guess in all my research I somehow expected sous vide to create a miracle. It is now obvious that the results will correlate directly with the quality of the meat.

I will not let this deter me, and am on the search for new things to try.

This was my personal experience, and your mileage may vary. I think my next adventure will be a small chuck, with French onion soup mix a recommended here. If I have the patience to wait for a two day, cook.
As always, I graciously accept recommendations/criticism.
Jo IMG-3475.JPG IMG-3473.JPG hn

those look pretty good from here. 1.5 hours might be a touch short IMO. I would try double that. The time length is relative to the thickness as well. This article is a good read on SV steaks. I am sure there are many like it, this was just the first one I found that kinda made the point I was looking for. For safety sake I wouldn't go under 130. I have also noted that a couple degrees higher doesn't really make noticeable "cooked level" difference (med, med rare, etc).

those look pretty good from here. 1.5 hours might be a touch short IMO. I would try double that. The time length is relative to the thickness as well. This article is a good read on SV steaks. I am sure there are many like it, this was just the first one I found that kinda made the point I was looking for. For safety sake I wouldn't go under 130. I have also noted that a couple degrees higher doesn't really make noticeable "cooked level" difference (med, med rare, etc).
thank you,
that same article was the basis of my first cook.

Looks good to me also, but know you're disappointed in that steak now. There are many variables that enter in... cuts of meat and grade is a big one. But also personal preference...on how you like your steaks. Guess what I'm trying to say is figuring out the proper length of time in sous vide to perfect tenderness without going too long to affect the texture. Don't give up!

Ryan

Reactions: fxsales1959
Appreciate the honesty of your summary. The beauty of the SV is that you can't over cook something. It will only hit the temp you set it at and no more. You can put the steaks in the SV pot early in the morning, go to work, and let them run all day if you want and they will not get over done, just more tender with the more time you let them go. Don't be afraid to let them go 6 or even 8 hours. Heck, you can take the toughest cut of meat in the world and turn it into melt-in-your-mouth tender meat just letting it go for a long time. I've seen folks doing 40 and 60 hour cooks with the SV and just raving about how tender the meat was. What you did is just part of the learning curve so don''t give up on it :emoji_wink:

Robert

Your Steaks Look Great, FX !! Like.
I can't tell you what should happen when you SV a Steak for 1 or 2 hours.
If I was going to do that, I would just do it some other way, without using my SV.
IMHO 1 to 2 hours in SV is doing nothing , except getting it to your set temperature evenly throughout.
Since I have taken Chuck Roast for a 50 hour ride, without turning it into the "Mushy Texture" so many people talk about, it doesn't scare me.
So If I am going to make a "Possibly tough Chucky" to be "Prime Rib Tender", I will put it in 131° or 132° water for about 48 hours (Give or take 2 hours).
However if I'm going to put a Choice Ribeye in my SV, since it is already relatively Tender, I would set it for that same 131°, and give it anywhere from 12 to 24 hours (Whichever is more convenient with my schedule).

Bear

Reactions: bigfurmn
Your Steaks Look Great, FX !! Like.
I can't tell you what should happen when you SV a Steak for 1 or 2 hours.
If I was going to do that, I would just do it some other way, without using my SV.
IMHO 1 to 2 hours in SV is doing nothing , except getting it to your set temperature evenly throughout.
Since I have taken Chuck Roast for a 50 hour ride, without turning it into the "Mushy Texture" so many people talk about, it doesn't scare me.
So If I am going to make a "Possibly tough Chucky" to be "Prime Rib Tender", I will put it in 131° or 132° water for about 48 hours (Give or take 2 hours).
However if I'm going to put a Choice Ribeye in my SV, since it is already relatively Tender, I would set it for that same 131°, and give it anywhere from 12 to 24 hours (Whichever is more convenient with my schedule).

Bear
thank you for your input. it's kinda scary not knowing what's inside until you slice. I was a little concerned that since I typically grill hot nd fast with a probe that i would lose the grill taste. I think unless i get a second mortgage for a nice thick prime ribeye, I'll stick to what I know. Problem is, down here you don't get nice thick steaks unless you buy the whole thing and have the butcher cut it 2 inches. The miami mentality is thin steaks well done. :emoji_stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: :emoji_stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Believe it or not, the first SV ribeye I did turned out tougher than ones I just grilled! All my steaks came from the same heifer, so they should all be about the same, as far as tenderness goes, so I was, like WTH.

The first one I ran an hour in the soak. The second, I ran for 2 hours, and it turned out really tender, like I was expecting out of SV on the first go. I had my steaks cut 3/4 inch, and 2 hours in the soak seems about perfect.

Reactions: Brokenhandle
Believe it or not, the first SV ribeye I did turned out tougher than ones I just grilled! All my steaks came from the same heifer, so they should all be about the same, as far as tenderness goes, so I was, like WTH.

The first one I ran an hour in the soak. The second, I ran for 2 hours, and it turned out really tender, like I was expecting out of SV on the first go. I had my steaks cut 3/4 inch, and 2 hours in the soak seems about perfect.
I have a mental block to the fact that more time will not "over do" in sous vide. Kinda like my original blockt hat brisket has go be 203. :emoji_stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: :emoji_stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Reactions: DougE
I have a mental block to the fact that more time will not "over do" in sous vide. Kinda like my original blockt hat brisket has go be 203. :emoji_stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: :emoji_stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:
Yeah, I can relate to that, but you will not overcook by going longer in SV. At some point, the meat will break down and get mushy, but it will still be the same level of doneness. Temp determines doneness, so if you run at 130°, 1 hour, or 5, or 10, will not make it well done.

Reactions: fxsales1959
Takes 8 to 10 minutes to grill a 1" to 1 1/2" steak to medium rare so how is an hour or more in warm water any improvement, especially if you have to grill it after anyway?
You get rare (or whatever level of doneness) edge to edge, and you can make not so tender steaks into fork tender.

Notice how this steak is the same level of doneness all the way through, vs having different levels of doneness from the edges down through the middle.

1653523977787.png

Just learn to relax in SV cooking. That’s the beauty of it. I’m doing Tri-tip at 132F as long as 6 hours. They are fantastic. And perfect pink doneness.

Reactions: DougE
I guess I'd have to try steak prepared that way to appreciate it, or not. I'll stick to the good old caveman style with that wonderful wood smoke and char for now and stay alert for a steak house that uses sous vide, not expecting to find one though.

I guess I'd have to try steak prepared that way to appreciate it, or not. I'll stick to the good old caveman style with that wonderful wood smoke and char for now and stay alert for a steak house that uses sous vide, not expecting to find one though.
Sous vide is, and has been widely used in the restaurant industry and has only recently become available to home cooks.

Reactions: indaswamp
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky