Leftovers special

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

kuroki

Meat Mopper
Original poster
Dec 27, 2022
Saskatchewan Canada
Well here is my lazy cleaning out the fridge meal. I made a batch of Devonshire Pastys the other day. And apparently I can't estimate filling well, because after 3 double batches of pastry I STILL had filling leftover.

So tonight I chopped up half a Costco pack of mushrooms, and the one "not badly wrinkled" seranno pepper left in the fridge. Fried then down in pork lard (home rendered) until they were nicely browned. The picture is about 10 minutes before they were done.
Then added in the remaining pasty filling. Starting batch was 2# of ground pork, 1# of ground beef, two large russet potatoes diced into 1/4" cubes, 4 small to medium onions finely diced, 2T kosher salt, 2T dried parsley, 1T fine grind black pepper.
I had maybe 3 cups of that mixture left that went into the pan. Let it cook down a while and added maybe two teaspoons of Worcestershire sauce, and two teaspoons of some generic taco seasoning I wanted to get out of my pantry.
Added some more lard (maybe 2-3 tablespoons total) and a roughly equal amount of flour. Two cups of hot water from the kettle. Let it cook down until the liquid is almost gone and the mixture is nice and thick. Picture once again was well before it was ready.

Made pastry from my go to recipe. Sausage roll shortcrust from page 256 of the Marianski book "1001 greatest sausage recipies". I substitute my home rendered lard for the butter, but otherwise follow it. Out of everything I've tried, it's the best pastry I've came across.
Into a pyres casserole dish because my normal pie pan was in the fridge with half a lemon ricotta cake in it. Wash of one egg yolk and an equal amount of water.
Baked at 375 for maybe 45 minutes.

One lazy meal ready to enjoy.
IMG_20230110_165010676.jpg
IMG_20230110_170623360.jpg

IMG_20230110_180542342.jpg
IMG_20230110_185449250.jpg

I'll have to start posting more of our day to day meals....

The crust really is good. I can post the recipe if anyone who doesn't have the book is interested. There is nearly half as much fat as flour which probably explains it.

I didn't grow up with pastie but do enjoy one and yours looks great
The crust really is good. I can post the recipe if anyone who doesn't have the book is interested. There is nearly half as much fat as flour which probably explains it.
Don't have that book and would love the recipe

Reactions: kuroki
225 grams of flour
100 grams of lard or butter
2 grams of salt

Blend lard with dry ingredients, and then add water and kneed until it forms a dough. You will need a bit more water than you think, otherwise it's too dry after it rests. It will firm up slightly. I couldn't tell you how much, just have to add bit by bit until it looks right.
Same dough works well for Pastys, sausage rolls, and meat pies. I personally prefer lard over butter. It makes a bit less flaky and more tender crust. I also like using the lard I render myself from fatback. It has a hint of pork flavor that although maybe not ideal in an apple pie, works very well with savory meals.

Reactions: Fueling Around
Last 1# block of commercial lard I bought was $7.99....
It's also refined to the point you can't tell it from vegetable shortening.

I can get all the fatback I could want for next to nothing, so I just make my own. It's pretty simple really.

• Wow
Reactions: Fueling Around
I haven't thought of those since I was in England in the 80's. Had those for lunch almost every day while I was there. Except for the ones that had minced liver in them, yuck!
Yours look mighty tasty. Thanks for the memories!

Reactions: kuroki
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky