Late Season Goose

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Wow!

You actually plucked it by hand!. . . . Good for you!

So much effort and time plucking Canada Geese by hand that I actually considered buying an automatic plucker. . . Then I discovered I couldn't afford it. . . .LOL!

Nice bird. I hope it came out as you expected.

John
Yes, it is time consuming and my neighbors think I'm half crazy as I do a lot of talking to myself and the bird during the process.

That's a beautiful looking goose, and a very fine plucking job! I'd imagine you used a torch on the pin feathers. That's the best lookin goose I've ever seen on a plate, nice piece of work, Like. RAY
Thanks Ray, I use a poor man's torch of a length of lit newspaper, and a dunk in scalding water. It's not easy or convenient, but this one deserved the extra effort.

I think I clicked like about 6 times on the way down to here. Never cooked a goose...always made jerky out of it...but after reading this thread, I will have to give it a try.

Congrats on making the headline too!

Time to get the layout blind out...
Thanks Uncle Eddie,
If you get a nice fat one give it a try. A lot of people think they taste like liver, but when they try mine they all want me to pluck theirs and duplicate the recipe.

Thanks for the congrats on the headline, my kids aren't making as much fun of me today.

This looks incredible!!! That glaze sounds so good I think I going to pull some ducks out of the freezer to try it on.

Did you try the leg meat? Last time I did a bunch of goose legs I had soaked in salt water for a few days and they were still so gamey, we could barely eat them.

The legs are actually my favorite. Lunch coming up soon so will post another pic. I don't know if it matters, but I think the 3 day soak in orange juice is the secret. I think the acid breaks down things, but I don't know for sure.

I'll also say I typically skin and quarter them, but this one was too perfect so I had to pluck it. I've had lots of bad legs that were shot up. Those typically go to the grinder to make sausage.

Reactions: Omnivore
Thanks Uncle Eddie,
If you get a nice fat one give it a try. A lot of people think they taste like liver, but when they try mine they all want me to pluck theirs and duplicate the recipe.

Thanks for the congrats on the headline, my kids aren't making as much fun of me today.

I think it is a similar taste as compared to dove...which is also delicious with a nice wrap of bacon and a short time int he smoker :-)

Yes, it is time consuming and my neighbors think I'm half crazy as I do a lot of talking to myself and the bird during the process.

Each time I attempted to hand pluck a Canada for Christmas dinner there were choice words as well!

Then I remembered it was Christmas, so I calmed down and just cursed to myself. . .LOL

Great looking bird. I hope it tasted as good as it looked on the carousel.

Happy New Year,

John

Last edited:
That's a beautiful looking goose, and a very fine plucking job! I'd imagine you used a torch on the pin feathers. That's the best lookin goose I've ever seen on a plate, nice piece of work, Like. RAY
No doubt that his plucking skills far exceed mine, I have a nice pair of Canvasbacks that I got yesterday hanging in the garage that I'm planning on doing up in a few days. I'm not sure if it will involve my smoker or not yet, if it does I'll post up some pictures.

Ha, I hope I'm not the only one who's ever made a bird torch. I didn't probe it after pulling it, but I had 30 minutes on the rotisserie so guessing it was close to 145.

I know most only use the breast, but I'm an almost head to tail hunter. More like neck to ankles so I look more forward to left overs than the roast. I can make one goose stretch into 4 meals.
We had taco's last night, and one of my favorite meals for a duck or goose is a North Idaho version from the French. French onion soup, and French Dip.
I think they're better with homeade sourdough bread, and goose broth. We're in the middle of a blizzard right now expecting 20" of snow, but it's hard to get too excited about the weather when I got this in front of me.
20200110_113734.jpg

20200110_113920.jpg

Thanks for everyone's good comments and I'll be headed out on the lake tomorrow to see if I can't get a quality whitefish smoke for once.

Reactions: forktender
MLM, Multiple likes as I love goose and yours looks excellent! Nice pelletless bird, musta been a head shot or like you said a heart attack! :)

Nice job! I've often wondered about smoked water fowl. I'm always scared the smoking process would somehow enhance the chance for gameyness. I've always done a milk brine before we oven roast, but I might have to try the OJ like you did. Thanks for posting this.

This looks incredible!!! That glaze sounds so good I think I going to pull some ducks out of the freezer to try it on.

Did you try the leg meat? Last time I did a bunch of goose legs I had soaked in salt water for a few days and they were still so gamey, we could barely eat them.
The legs are actually my favorite. Lunch coming up soon so will post another pic. I don't know if it matters, but I think the 3 day soak in orange juice is the secret. I think the acid breaks down things, but I don't know for sure.

I'll also say I typically skin and quarter them, but this one was too perfect so I had to pluck it. I've had lots of bad legs that were shot up. Those typically go to the grinder to make sausage.

So this is the grand finale of my goose and I wanted to close out this thread with the full picture spread of how I enjoy all parts of a perfect bird. Not only is this my favorite part of the goose, but it's one of my favorite meals. It's so simple if you have a slow cooker, and basically it's a smokey, buttery, orange pearl onion confit. I spooned this over some store bought canned biscuits and now I can't move off the couch I'm so full.
20200115_112730.jpg

20200115_112756.jpg

20200115_113607.jpg

20200116_185822.jpg

Wow that looks amazing!!! I love when you can turn "leftovers" into a brand new restaurant quality meal like that - especially with a part of the goose that is often overlooked. Thank you for the great ideas :)

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky