Keeping burgers hot after grilling

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Killa J

Smoke Blower
Original poster
Apr 10, 2018
On Saturday, I have a small party to cook for at my mother-in-law’s. They want burgers and hotdogs. They have a charcoal grill, but I asked for a pic of it and it’s really gross and the grate looks like it’s falling apart. My only option is my small portable gas grill.

I think I can maybe fit 5 burgers at a time on my little grill, but I need at least 14. What’s the best method to keep them hot while the other batches are on the grill, but not drying them out? I’m used to being able to cook all at once, so I’ve never had to do little batches for parties.

Put them in disposable foil pans and cover with foil then put them in a cooler, or better yet an oven on lowest setting until serving time.

Reactions: Killa J
+1 park in 170F oven for big hand packed tavern style ones. Pretty much do this for all my grilling. That said, crock pot burgers with lipton onion soup is loved my in laws. Works really good for frozen patties. I typically do not waste beer in cooking but WI style brats is the exception and would probably use beer for the hot dog crock but they can parked in oven with the burgers. In fact, just did this actually last night. Also steamed a dozen ears of corn and parked in a cooler with a stick of butter until serving. Good luck!

Putting them in liquid in a crock pot doesn’t make them soggy?

I’ll most likely do the oven as long as nobody else is using it. If it’s taken, I’ll do the crock pot thing.

I actually have a hotdog roller, so I won’t have anything in the crock pot.

I was taught Jon's method years ago.... Burgers in beer and onion slices at about 140 F... will keep for hours and they come out delicious.... I'm sure dogs will be the same... that's how I precook brats before grilling, then back in the beer and onions...

Reactions: chewmeister
I was taught Jon's method years ago.... Burgers in beer and onion slices at about 140 F... will keep for hours and they come out delicious.... I'm sure dogs will be the same... that's how I precook brats before grilling, then back in the beer and onions...
The best way to cook brats IMHO. How it is done in WI. Dang, now I need to pull some brats out of the freezer. :D

Putting them in liquid in a crock pot doesn’t make them soggy?

No not really but they are definitely less crunchy. Works well. Be sure to keep crock on WARM. My SIL will also add a bunch of minced onion along with the Liptons.

My friend, (Jekenewicz family) from Cheboygan Wi. taught me that method...
No butter in there? Stick of butter, a beer, and a sliced onion? That's how I do them, and heck yeah now that football is approaching this sounds killer. Mine get topped with kraut and Gludens. Normally when you use beer for for cooking it doesn't really add much or at all to the dish but this absolutely does so choose wisely. Totally worth using/wasting a good german pils like St. Pauly/Becks over Bud Miller Coors.

I grew up in WI, grandparents lived in Sheboygan. Spent a lot of weekends there and consumed a lot of brats. The Sheboygan brat is the flavor profile I aim for when making mine. Sheboygan is known as the brat capitol of the U.S. after all.

No not really but they are definitely less crunchy. Works well. Be sure to keep crock on WARM. My SIL will also add a bunch of minced onion along with the Liptons.

No butter in there? Stick of butter, a beer, and a sliced onion? That's how I do them, and heck yeah now that football is approaching this sounds killer. Mine get topped with kraut and Gludens. Normally when you use beer for for cooking it doesn't really add much or at all to the dish but this absolutely does so choose wisely. Totally worth using/wasting a good german pils like St. Pauly/Becks over Bud Miller Coors.
Never tried with butter, just beer and onion. My favorite is a Leinenkugel's Sunset Wheat when I can get it here.

Haven't heard of Cheboygan, but I've heard of Sheboygan. Zwiller is spot on correct actually. A lot of people will toss a half stick to a full stick of butter in there as well.

Common recipe used at brat fry locations used around the state for a reason.

Haven't heard of Cheboygan, but I've heard of Sheboygan....

Well, Don't quite know what to say except, now you have heard of Cheboygan... Except, it's in Michigan....
Cheboygan | Michigan
Cheboygan, Michigan is located on the shores of Lake Huron and the banks of the Cheboygan River. Cheboygan is an Indian name meaning "through passage" referring to the 38.2 mile Inland Waterway Route.

I apologize, humbly, for causing you stress... I'll try to keep it down to maybe.... twice a year.... Hopefully, it won't cause you a trip to your shrink...

Reactions: chopsaw
Haven't heard of Cheboygan, but I've heard of Sheboygan....

Well, Don't quite know what to say except, now you have heard of Cheboygan... Except, it's in Michigan....
Cheboygan | Michigan
Cheboygan, Michigan is located on the shores of Lake Huron and the banks of the Cheboygan River. Cheboygan is an Indian name meaning "through passage" referring to the 38.2 mile Inland Waterway Route.

I apologize, humbly, for causing you stress... I'll try to keep it down to maybe.... twice a year.... Hopefully, it won't cause you a trip to your shrink...

....Well that's all fine and dandy my friend but you said "Cheboygan, WI" in your previous post. So one would naturally assume you're talking about Wisconsin.

May I, (humbly of course) suggest you learn how to abbreviate states?

I'll even help you out!...FOR FREE!
Michigan is MI, Wisconsin is WI

See ? It is possible to teach an old, grumpy dog new tricks!...even when they display some of the signs of early onset dementia!

Last edited:
I guess spell check let me down as "it" couldn't differentiate the 2... Perhaps my fingers couldn't differentiate where the C or S was located that my demented brain was trying to locate... Now that you have pointed out the difference between the M & W.... perhaps some dyslexia was involved... Either way, you got to point out the error in my post... You got to learn there is in fact a Cheboygan... I declare you the winner !!!!! Congrats!!! and have a wonderful morning...

A little late to the party, but something else to add.

Some years back, I volunteered to help my Dad's Kiwanis Club run one of the big concession stand as a fund raiser at the NASCAR race at Atlanta Motor Speedway. I was the griddle cook. They kept their hot dogs and burgers ready after cooking by keeping them in a au jus beef bath with griddle caramelized onions (no beer though). That was sort of a mad house cooking event. Every time there was a caution flag or wreck, the thundering herd would assault the food stands as quickly as they could so we needed a lot of hot food on quick standby. In between, we caught up with the cooking for the next assault by the herd.

I've done the same thing with "Johnny's French Dip Au Jus" at the house. Comes out great. I usually put a big pot on the side burner of my grill and start with the au jus and grilled/griddled onions then progress to the burgers and dogs. Of course beer and onions is a well known method for brats, but not so much for burgers.

FrenchDip_8oz_SHADOW.png

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky