Just some chicken thighs and legs

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

WaterRat

Master of the Pit
Original poster
Feb 14, 2018
Hamden, CT
Hey All,
The local store had packs of chicken thighs and legs for $0.88 so I decided it was chicken day this past Saturday. I went a bit crazy on prep, the legs got frenched then after brining I used pliers to pull out the tendons. The thighs had the skin peeled back and then I scraped/filleted the fat off leaving the skin translucent to help get that nice bite through texture. Brined everything o/n, 1.75qt water, 0.25qt apple juice (all I had), 1/2 C kosher salt, 1/2C light brown sugar, 1 heaping TBSP Cajun seasoning, 1 heaping TBSP Italian herbs.

That's a dozed thighs of filleted off fat:

Fired the smoker to 300°F. Meanwhile rinsed all the chicken and patted dry. I split into two batches: half the legs and thighs I hit with Bone Suckin' Sauce rub, the other half Rub Some Butt Carolina Seasoning which is a mustard based rub.

The thighs went onto racks, the legs into small pans with pats of butter. Everything into the smoker and let it do it's thing. I rotated the racks a couple times and swapped the pans around too. Smelled so good!

Once temps hit around 170°F - I can't give a good time, it was somewhere around 1:20ish, I had taken the smoker over to a friend's and we were playing cornhole, drinking beers and BSing while I occasionally checked the temps - it was time for some saucing, legs first. Half got Sweet Baby Rays that had been thinned out with apple juice, added some honey and some rub, the other half The Shed Spicy Mustard treated the same way. The legs got dipped then the thighs got brushed. After saucing, back on for about 20min to set and it was eating time!

Turned out great, my friends gave big compliments, they really liked how nice and juicy everything was. The skin turned out good, not perfect but I'll take it. Sides of slaw and cold pasta salad and it was good eats! Thanks for looking!

Last edited:
Nice, a fantastic looking cook... I have a hankering for some chicken right about now......:emoji_sunglasses::emoji_wink:

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky