just remembering

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

cal1956

Master of the Pit
Original poster
Apr 14, 2015
Colorado
sitting here this morning thinking back to the 1st time we made sausage , we didn't have the proper equipment , didn't have a clue what we were doing , just knew we wanted to try our hand at it , its funny to think back to that day we were trying to get 5 lbs of ground meat through an attachment on the meat grinder , dealing with a LOT of blowouts , or how it would taste ( or even if we wanted to taste it ) learning how to smoke it, you name the mistake and we probably made it
but it turned out pretty well for our 1st time , man was that a lot of work !!! but over time we learned what equipment we needed to make it much easier and began making larger batches and different kinds of sausages . it still can be a fair amount of work but its more of a labor of love than anything, as now about once a year we make sausages for our freinds and they look forward to getting them and some even tell us when they run out ( hinting its time for us to make more haha )

Reactions: WI Smoker77
Likewise here. I remember the first time making sausage, fresh, and thought.....Is this going to be edible?, will it taste good? .. is it possible anyone could get sick?.... and the blowouts, lol. MANY also!! Now I make it and try many different sausages and flavors. And indeed a labor of love, with the clean up and work. But worth it. Thanks for the rememberances! Have a great 4th!

Reactions: cal1956
making sausage for the 1st time is a bit scary and imtimidating but you soon get over it and really start enjoying it . having the right equipment is the key to making it enjoyable , a lot of fellas like the hand cranked vertical stuffers but after trying one of them we decided to use a water stuffer and fell in love with how much easier it is to use , the other thing that made it easier was learning how to debone the boston butts , we used to fight with those things until we learned how haha, now deboning one only takes a couple of minutes. making sausage is a learning experence for sure , but its well worth the effort

When I found this site I was researching how to make bacon. I got hooked on sausage. Started out with my KithenAid mixer and it's attachments. That was not a pretty sight. Got a real grinder and built a water stuffer. Now I am happy making sausage a couple of times a year.

our grinder had a sausage stuffing attachment on it and being it was our 1st time making sausage we didn't know any better , i'll say one thing that was the hardest 5 lbs of sausage we ever made ..haha

making sausage for the 1st time is a bit scary and imtimidating but you soon get over it and really start enjoying it . having the right equipment is the key to making it enjoyable , a lot of fellas like the hand cranked vertical stuffers but after trying one of them we decided to use a water stuffer and fell in love with how much easier it is to use , the other thing that made it easier was learning how to debone the boston butts , we used to fight with those things until we learned how haha, now deboning one only takes a couple of minutes. making sausage is a learning experence for sure , but its well worth the effort
I've never done sausages for myself, but your description made me thinking about it! Want to improve my skills

we started out making smoked sausage but you don't have to make those to get started , you could start by learning to make "breakfast sausage " all you need to get started is a grinder , a boston butt and some seasoning . later on when you feel comfortable making those then buy a good stuffer and really have fun

I started with a manual grinder. Stuffed homemade muslin casings for smoked summer sausage.

That was ling ago!

Have an electric grinder and a 20lb motorized stuffer.

Lot more fun now!

the thing about making sausage is , once you start making " good " sausage , you will be amazed at how many freinds you suddenly have .....haha

the thing about making sausage is , once you start making " good " sausage , you will be amazed at how many freinds you suddenly have .....haha
That is true! After work last night I stopped at my Legion, and met a guy talking about making hot italian sausage. We struck up a conversation and agreed to exchange recipies.

That is true! After work last night I stopped at my Legion, and met a guy talking about making hot italian sausage. We struck up a conversation and agreed to exchange recipies.
Well if you find a good Hot Italian Sausage recipe from him, I 'm sure you'd share it with your friends here.......:emoji_wink:

Reactions: bill ace 350
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky