Just another convert

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

The_Dude

Original poster
Jan 24, 2021
Hi all from down under

After years of an apprenticeship with gas BBQs, charcoal kettles and hot and cold smoke boxes I took the plunge and purchased an off set stick burner six weeks ago - my son calls it "Thomas" for obvious reason. To start with I thought I had made a big mistake and had some epic fails: too smokey - not smokey enough, over cooked - under cooked, over seasoned...you get the picture. Last weekend it all started to come together. I feel Thomas is fairly well tuned and he and I are starting to get in tune and my temp and smoke control is way better then when I first started. I have also ditched the commercial rubs and glazes and now making from scratch, adding a bit more heat or sweetness to my liking - still so much to experiment with and learn about on this front. My sticky honey, bourbon pork ribs were falling off the bone and melting in the mouth - the guinea pigs were saying best they have ever had. Used the 3-2-1 method which worked really well for me this time. I also had a large brisket which including rest time was 8 hours and although it was moist, tender and tasty enough I think the temp 260-275 ish may have been a bit high and will aim for a bit lower. One thing it did do was open all our taste buds to what this brisket caper was all about as I have often seen photos or programs about brisket and always thought what an unappetizing looking piece of meat. Now I know about the magic of what happens to all that lovely fat during the slow and delicate cook. I have included a photo of my brisket which I took the following day. I think next time I will flip the brisket over to get more even smoke. I used a nice native hardwood of pohutukawa with a couple of sticks of apple as well.

Kiwi Brisket.jpg

Last edited:
Welcome from CO USA!
Nice looking brisket. You guys have grass fed beef. A bit different from us Yanks, all grain fed (commercially) so the fat is more on our beef, but perfect you you’re beef. Cook to probe tender. That will range from IT of 200-215 but when then probe goes in like butter, you are there. Glad to have you aboard.

Welcome from Iowa! Glad you joined us, and glad you and Thomas are playing nicely together!

Ryan

Congrats from California. I got my Horizon offset in October after a long wait and have used it at least once a week since arrival. Briskets, ribs, port butt, turkeys, chickens and even bacon. Have fun.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky