JUMPING ON THE ENCHILADA BANDWAGON

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Sowsage

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Oct 18, 2017
Maplewood OH
sawhorseray sawhorseray had started a thread about his beef enchiladas a while back. They looked great and got me hungry for some. Then tropics tropics posted a thread about them and his looked great too! Now I'm getting really hungry for some enchiladas so I decided to jump on the beef enchilada bandwagon. I do them a little different. chopsaw chopsaw had mentioned that anymore he just layers them like a lasagna to avoid all the rolling them up. Well thats what I do and I do them in the slow cooker. Here is how I do them.

Here are the the things I used in mine.
1lb ground beef
1 small red bell pepper
1/3 cup chopped green onion
1 can ranch style beans
1 can diced tomato with green chillies
1tsp chilli powder
1/2 tsp cumin
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp black pepper
8-10oz shredded Monterey Jack cheese
1 pack medium sized flour tortillas

0126201757.jpg
0126201803.jpg
0126201758b.jpg

Start with browning the ground beef along with the green onion and red pepper
0126201755a_HDR.jpg
0126201807_HDR.jpg

Strain the grease from the meat then add the tomatoes with green chilies and the ranch style beans. Do not drain the tomatoes or the beans just dump the whole can in. This is when you add the seasonings as well
0126201822.jpg

Let that simmer for a few minutes then shut off the heat and set it aside.
0126201825_HDR.jpg

While that cools off long enough to handle I shred the cheese and cut some tortillas to fit the slow cooker. Then its time to start layering.

Start with tortillas
0126201847.jpg

Then the ground beef/bean filling
0126201853.jpg

Then a layer of cheese
0126201853a.jpg

And repeat.
0126201855.jpg

I do 4 layers ending with the cheese. Then put the slow cooker on low for about 2.5 hours
0126201901b.jpg

Had to check on it about half way though just to see how good it smells! Starting to look good!
0126202041.jpg

After 2.5 hours I turned off the slow cooker and removed the lid to let it cool.
0126202155.jpg

Now at this point you can cut it into wedges and pull a piece out to put on the plate. You can top it with some warmed up enchilada sauce (red or green)and your favorite Mexican cheese like queso fresco. But this time I decided on green hot sauce a little sour cream and some cilantro. I really just like those flavors.

On to the plate with the toppings.
0126202211a.jpg

So now after seeing all the threads about enchiladas I finally got my fix! It sure was good! Thanks for taking a look! And thanks to sawhorseray sawhorseray , tropics tropics for reminding me it was time to make this again and jump on the bandwagon

Wow, does that ever look inviting, beautiful piece of work! Seems I only make my enchiladas out of leftovers anymore, pulled pork, tritip, or chicken. I really like the idea of incorporating the crock pot, got to give that a try! Like, RAY

Wow, does that ever look inviting, beautiful piece of work! Seems I only make my enchiladas out of leftovers anymore, pulled pork, tritip, or chicken. I really like the idea of incorporating the crock pot, got to give that a try! Like, RAY
Thanks RAY! I think you could still do this with some leftovers . just skip the part of browning the beef. Add what meat you have to a pan and heat it up with the beans tomatoes and seasonings. This usually makes enough for us to have it twice one week and it reheats really well.

Wow....looks like I'm not the only one inspired by the enchilada threads recently. I did mine Saturday and was just getting ready to post it then saw this. Love the idea of the slow cooker!! I bet those were tasty. Sure looks amazing. Great job and points for sure!!

Still gonna post mine,
Robert

Yup looks great and a great way to do them . One of the reasons I layer it is I like to use corn tortillas , but don't like the extra prep to make them flexible .
I'll also crush up some corn chips in the filling .
That's one of the best plated shots I've seen . Fantastic work . I just might do this tonight .
Thanks for posting .

Wow....looks like I'm not the only one inspired by the enchilada threads recently. I did mine Saturday and was just getting ready to post it then saw this. Love the idea of the slow cooker!! I bet those were tasty. Sure looks amazing. Great job and points for sure!!

Still gonna post mine,
Robert
Thanks Robert! They really were good! I'll be checking yours out here shortly!

Yup looks great and a great way to do them . One of the reasons I layer it is I like to use corn tortillas , but don't like the extra prep to make them flexible .
I'll also crush up some corn chips in the filling .
That's one of the best plated shots I've seen . Fantastic work . I just might do this tonight .
Thanks for posting .
Thanks chopsaw! I agree the corn tortillas are a little more work to soften for roling up. I like the idea of the crushed chips in the filling! If you try this out in the crock pot/slow cooker and decide to use corn tortillas I suggest you try and double them up. We tried it one time and they didn't hold up to the moist 2.5 hour cook and basically disintegrated...... so for this meal we stick with the flour ones.

Reactions: chopsaw
Travis I guess cheating is allowed when it taste as good as it looks. Likes
Richie

I hesitate making enchiladas because of all the labor also. That looks so much easier. I have to put this in line the mac&cheese I'm making tomorrow. Thanks

That looks really good and easy. How was the texture of the flour tortillas? I've only use corn and rolled them. Thanks Ed
Its a good texture in this recipe . the corn ones do not hold up well in the crock pot . thats the main reason we use the flour ones for this.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky