"Ja makin" jerk

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

cheech

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
Dec 19, 2005
Beautiful Grand Rapids Michigan
I just made some Jamaican Jerk chicken.

Jamaican Jerk Chicken

2 Tablespoon non-iodized salt
1 Tablespoon granulated cane sugar
2 teaspoons ground cayenne
2 teaspoons granulated onion
1 teaspoon granulated garlic
1 teaspoon ground all-spice
1 teaspoon ground ginger
1 teaspoon ground black pepper
½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
¼ teaspoon ground cloves
¼ teaspoon ground nutmeg

I love this stuff! I smoked it with apple wood and boy did it turn out great.
Never even thought of taking a picture until it was gone sorry
PDT_Armataz_01_17.gif

How did it turn out?

My mother-in-law does a Jamaican Jerk Chili that is fantabulous.... I love jerk chicken too... Was your mix there pretty accurate? What about heat?

I found my new favorite with this! (We are planning a trip to Jamaica and this just makes me want to go even more)

The heat was fine the original recipe calls for ground scotch bonnet peppers but I could not find that in the store so I used cayenne.

I would venture to guess that the others would get better heat.

But again this is my favorite

That sounds absoulutly delicious Cheech, did you use a whole bird or just peices??? Copied and filed!!!!!! Thanks
PDT_Armataz_01_34.gif

The local grocery store (Meijer) had a special on half birds. I used that but when I do this again I am going to use just the breast the other did not have as much flavor due to the size of the bird

Makes sense, I have some chicken quaters in the freezer I will try this on this weekend. Thanks Again!!!!!

sounds good Cheech..

once suggestion about the scotch bonnet... Meijer usually has those reduced for quick sale packages of peppers. You usually can get a big package of them for really cheap.Then you can dry them in the dehydrator or smoke them for a bit then dry them and make your own powder...

Cheech.
Sounds good...lots of flavor, without a lot of heat...I made some Jalapeño powder a little while ago...bet that would sub nice for the cayenne..
PDT_Armataz_01_34.gif

Truth be told what I did is pulled out the gas grill. Seared it on both sides then indirectly grilled it on each side for one half of an hour each. I did have some wood chips to create a nice flavor. Please don't hate me for cheating but I was short on time

I will find that recipe and post it... To summarize, it's two roasts rubbed with jerk seasoning and smoked. (1 pork and 1 beef) Cube the meat and put it in a really really good black bean style stew with veggies, jalapenos, etc..... Simmer for a while, top with cheese and sour cream and enjoy!

It's been a while since I made it. I'll have to find it...

Oh, and Cheech, I was in Jamaica before.... if you haven't been there, you aren't missing much!
The resorts are nice, but the cities are certainly behind. Lots of crime and panhandling. It's rough as a tourist. Definitely my LEAST favorite place in the Caribbean I've been to. I would only go to a resort. (That said, Cancun -- www.palaceresorts.com, I have a GREAT deal on these :) )

So, be careful, and enjoy! Of course, you MUST do Dunn's River Falls!

Thanks for the update.

Yes I plan to go the Couples Negril. According to Tripadvisor this is a great place to be. We do not plan to venture out much past the beach (hey why should I they will bring my drinks to me), let alone the resort.

I think that's exactly the Couples resort that one of my friends went to on their honeymoon... He had a blast!
You'll love it! All inclusives are the best :)

Hey Cheech, Which half of the chickens were on sale???
PDT_Armataz_01_12.gif

I copied that recipe so that when our pepper garden starts producing we can dry some peppers into a powder for use in a recipe like that.

Hey Guido, March 2006 a group of 16 of us traveled to Cancun and stayed at Moon Palace. Nobody wanted to leave! Loved the place! You're right, all inclusive is the only way to go. We had such a good time! Kept getting lost in the huge intertwining pool system. Luckily we always seemed to find the pool bar!! Recommend to anyone and it's not up in Cancun proper so spring break kids didn't really affect us...

mps_01_pool2.jpg

Cheech, sounds like a great vacation, after the winter we have had, it is well deseverd. Enjoy
PDT_Armataz_01_34.gif

Well speakin of jerk
I love jerk so much that I made a batch of jerk pork sausages.
They didn't turn out as well as I would have liked....Never use bottled seasoning when you can make your own fresh. I'll try it again another time though and I will make my own seasoning.

By the way,

This even tastes great second time around. Just ate the leftovers (rather unusual to even have any but I made a ton of it) and even the leftovers are great.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky