I've tried everything. White smoke!

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
-I've tried all 3 sets of my probes - all different manufacturers. They are all reading the same give or take a few degrees. I'm confident it's not running at a higher temp. 

-I have been using water. I used water in my Slow-N-Sear and never had steam problems when it was boiling. Should I not be using water? But I believe the smoke looks like smoke, not steam.

-I didn't think of the closing the two vents closest to the wood....I will have to try that one. 

There is a finite amount of variables that can possibly be causing your white smoke issue, my suggestion would be to write down every single one, 1 variable at a time do the opposite of what your doing ( dry run of course, no meat) and sooner or later you will find the root of the problem.

Just my .02 cents

I've got an 18.5 WSM, 4-5 chunks of dry wood mixed with a full ring of charcoal.  I turn my chimney upside down and light that amount of charcoal.  I foil the water pan, no water. Top vent wide open. Two of the three bottom vents closed and start with the third wide open.  I'll end up almost closing it and running for 8-10 hrs between 225 and 250 without touching it.  During this time there is an almost invisible smoke coming from the top vent, but the smell of smoking wood in the air.  

If I lift the lid for any reason during this time, like when checking ribs for bend test, the smoker will put out some white smoke for a while once I'm finished futzing with it.  

Mike

I'm 30 minutes into a dry run, holding at my 230 temp. Is this not dirty smoke? I'm showing what I see against a black background and the green grass. I have my top vent wide open. Bottom vent furthest away from wood open, other two closed.

It doesn't appear to be billowing white smoke. You'll be fine and it should settle into TBS once the wood is charred over.

Chris  

Thanks guys. I must have been spoiled using my slow n sear. he he he. SO much blue smoke with that. It took about 1 hour 15 minutes to get thinner than what I posted. I'm guess I'm just an impatient person.

Reactions: smokinbill1638
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky