It's BEAN Awhile!

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

BandCollector

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Whenever I smoke ribs, I trim off the skirt meat as well as the brisket rib tips and smoke them along with the ribs.
But instead of enjoying them along with the ribs, I save them for my winter comfort food: bean soup!
BEAN craving some since the snow started flying.

Nothing fancy, just follow the instructions on the package of Hurst's HamBeens Brand 15 Bean Soup.
IMG_0758.jpg

Smoked Ham and Hurst's HamBeens Brand15 Bean Soup
Ingredients:

1 lb Ham and Ham Bone (OR use diced smoked skirt meat and rib tips!)
1 Cup Onions
1 Cup Celery
1 15 oz. Can of Stewed Tomatoes
1 t Chili Powder
Juice of One Lemon (approx. 3 T)
2 t Minced Garlic
2 Bay Leaves
1 Bag HamBeens Brand 15 Bean Soup Beans

Directions:
  • Place beans in a large pot with 2 quarts of water. Allow beans to soak overnight, or at least 8 hours.
  • After soaking, drain water; add 2 quarts of fresh water, ham bone, meat , and bay leaves.
  • Bring beans to a boil, reduce heat, and simmer covered for 1½ hours.
  • After simmering, add onions, celery, tomatoes, chili powder, lemon juice, and garlic. Simmer covered for another 30 minutes.
  • Add contents of ham packet 1 to 2 minutes before cooking is completed. Salt and pepper to taste.
For a commercially packaged soup it is good on its own, but the smoked skirt meat and rib tips REALLY adds another level of enjoyment!

Simmering along nicely!
IMG_0759 2.jpg

And finally, the fruits of your labor!
IMG_0760.jpg

Thanks for viewing,

John

Last edited:
That looks real good! And just one more reason to buy full spares .....i loving using the tips and whatever I trim off for stuff like this. Perfect meal for a cold snowy day!

Reactions: BandCollector
Comfort food at it's finest right there! I agree with you... that skirt meat makes a great addition to other meals, if it makes it past cook's snacks!

Ryan

Comfort food at it's finest right there! I agree with you... that skirt meat makes a great addition to other meals, if it makes it past cook's snacks!

Ryan

That is always the hard part. . .Convincing myself to save the skirt meat after I have had a few beers while smoking the ribs. . .LOL!

Fortunately, I sum up the willpower and reap the benefits this time of year.

John

Reactions: Brokenhandle
That's one fine looking pot of soup. I've made that before with the same beans and a bunch of ham. Interesting timing of your post. I've been craving a big pot of thick, rich, bean soup for a couple weeks now and have plans to make some in the nest couple days. This definitely has driven the point home. Excellent job!!

Robert

That looks fantastic . I do the same when trimming spares . Save that brisket flap .
Getting ready to do these next week .
Nice post .

Looks great! Like the others, I'm now in the mood to make some also. I like smoked pork hocks and some sliced chorizo sausage in mine.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky