Italian Sausage Substitute

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

mickey jay

Meat Mopper
Original poster
Feb 29, 2012
Lynnwood, WA
So my wife isn't a fan of fennel, which basically eliminates almost all Italian sausage recipes from my kitchen. I tried making an Italian sausage recipe leaving out the fennel and it just tasted weird. Any suggestions on a good bulk sausage recipe without fennel that would go well with tomato based pasta dishes?

Even a name of a particular sausage would be helpful so I could research recipes on my own.. I just don't even know what to look for.

thanks all!

I like AC Leggs brand Sausage kits.

Does she like brats or kielbasa?

I am going to guess she also would not like anise in the sausage.  So think about going a bit spicier with more herbs, garlic, sun dried tomato or a hard cheese.  Find something you both like, or make 2 batches.  

Me, I would just say too bad and keep the fennel and add anise.  :)

Search len poli's site for roasted garlic sausage. I made it with caraway in place of fennel last week and I must say this was an awesome sausage recipe. It is a smoked cured recipe but a pretty easy one. I like easy.

Last edited:
http://lpoli.50webs.com/index_files/Salsiccia-agliata.pdf

this is the one I used and what's cool is there are four different versions of this sausage. I like versatile as well. 
sausage.gif

So my wife isn't a fan of fennel, which basically eliminates almost all Italian sausage recipes from my kitchen. I tried making an Italian sausage recipe leaving out the fennel and it just tasted weird. Any suggestions on a good bulk sausage recipe without fennel that would go well with tomato based pasta dishes?

Even a name of a particular sausage would be helpful so I could research recipes on my own.. I just don't even know what to look for.

thanks all!
also you can substitute rosemary (fresh). Heck everybody likes rosemary right?

Thank you stanjk! There's enough on that site to keep me very busy.

Darwin, you're correct that anise doesn't fly, and caraway either for that matter. I'm leaning towards something with sun dried tomatoes I think..

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky