Is Pecan Wood good for Turkey

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

waytoodeep03

Fire Starter
Original poster
Oct 30, 2009
I smoked a chicken saturday with some apple at 350. Although it was good the smoke flavor wasnt as strong as i liked. Apple was pretty light on the chicken.

Is Pecan stronger?

All i have used last 20 years.This year i am gonna try 3/4 pecan chunks and 1/4 red oak......I would recommend pecan on poultry...Pecan is a bit stronger then apple and not as strong as hickory from my experiences...Fine medium wood....Gives my birds a golden brown color...

is it ok to mix a little cherry with the pecan? or better to just use the pecan? I have some cherry chips that i'd like to use with my pecan logs..good combo?

IMHO, yes. I combine cherry with about everything else I burn, pecan, hickory, and mesquite, mostly. Never had any complaints.

Pecan is the BEST choice when it comes to turkey in my opinion. I used (mostly) pecan on last year's turkey smoke and I was very pleased with the result.

Tom

Absolutely!! Mixing woods is like , well, we won't go there on a family board, lol, by all means, experiment! Find what works well and then let us know!! :)

Never tried pecan on birds as for ribs
PDT_Armataz_01_34.gif
. IMO It seems like it would go real well together.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky