Injecting a brisket flat

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

kelbro

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
SMF Premier Member
Mar 22, 2009
N. Carolina
For those that inject brisket flats, what works better tallow or beef broth?

Every now and then my flats come out dry and I just want to add a little insurance.

Thanks

I sometimes inject with broth. My wife really likes it, but I don’t much care one way or the other. As a side note, most usually if a flat ends up dry it’s usually under cooked, that’s not a 100% thing but it’s awful close. When you are getting close to the IT you want start probing for tenderness more than watching temperature. Use the probe on your therm or use a wooden skewer. The probe should slide in and out with little resistance. This way helps ensure all the collagen has dissolved making a moist piece of meat.

Last briskey run was water, red wine, salt, MSG, and STPP like Omak ham.

I agree with SmokinEdge SmokinEdge usually means underdone. I am of the opinion the "bend test" detects proper doneness off the smoker. If it bends and stays together you are perfect. If it does not bend and does not break, it's under cooked. If it breaks, it's overcooked.

Reactions: pit 4 brains
I agree with the above re undercooking.

Idea: Inject half the flat with tallow and the other half with broth and get back to us!

Good luck

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky