Ice bath?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

kelbro

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
SMF Premier Member
Mar 22, 2009
N. Carolina
Is it really necessary to drop the sausages in an ice bath after a Sous Vide poach? They aren't going to overcook. Does the ice bath help the casings get that snap?

Thanks

The ice bath is to stop the cooking and keep the casings from wrinkling. Once removed from SV, the residual heat will continue to cook.

They aren't going to overcook
I'm not worried about carry over . If you ran the SV at low temps like 140 , you need to get it cooled down to under 40 degrees and in the fridge . Baldwin has a section in his charts about cooling .

I've been smoking at around 100 for 4 hrs and SVing at 152. Sausage usually hits 152 in about 30 mins. 10 min ice bath and then into the fridge overnight to bloom.

Reactions: DougE
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky