How to ruin perfectly good Kielbasa

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
So I followed all the advise and made awesome tasting kielbasa. Problem, the casing is like shoe leather. The meat is pink and delicious, the casing ruins it.

I got hog casings packed in salt from the sausage maker. I rinsed them then soaked them in water with a little vinegar. I soaked them at least 24 hours. I filled them, dried them in the fridge for 24 hours. I smoked them for 4 hour with the pellet tube. Then SV'd them for an hour at 151 degrees. The meat was perfect, tasted extremely good.

What am I doing wrong?
When I heat smoke sausage or Kielbasa, I put them in my instantpot and steam for 5 minutes then put them on the grill to finish. That usually takes care of tough casings for me.

Reactions: Coach JoeQB
I use casings from Syracuse Casings...USA North American casings
name.gif

Sausage Casing. Hog Casing. Sheep Casing.​

100% AMERICAN MADE & PROCESSED!
ALL NATURAL HOG & SHEEP CASING.​

Reactions: SmokinEdge
So I followed all the advise and made awesome tasting kielbasa. Problem, the casing is like shoe leather. The meat is pink and delicious, the casing ruins it.

I got hog casings packed in salt from the sausage maker. I rinsed them then soaked them in water with a little vinegar. I soaked them at least 24 hours. I filled them, dried them in the fridge for 24 hours. I smoked them for 4 hour with the pellet tube. Then SV'd them for an hour at 151 degrees. The meat was perfect, tasted extremely good.

What am I doing wrong?
It doesn't sound like you did anything wrong. Have you tried doing collagen casings and then peeling off when ready to eat? I know a lot of people who just don't like casings.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky