1. Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.

How to prep for a loooong smoke?

Discussion in 'Charcoal Smokers' started by PoukieBear, Jun 11, 2019 at 3:11 PM.

1. PoukieBear

PoukieBear Fire Starter

Thanks for all your advice everyone!

and don't worry, I'll be posting lots of pics to either show off my amazing results, or to whine about "what went wrong?!...." LOL

I went to Costco last night and bought two pork shoulders (and lots of sausages) for a good price, but they didn't have any brisket, so I'll have to talk to my butcher for a nice one.

2. tallbm

tallbm Master of the Pit OTBS Member ★ Lifetime Premier ★

If you can't get your hands on any brisket then a large (or large amount) of boneless chuck roast would be the next best thing. A chuck may want to dry out on you so around 170F IT you can wrap with a splash of some kind of liquid (beer, old wine, beef broth, etc.).

I've eaten many a shredded chuck thinking it was shredded brisket. Chucks are usually shredded vs sliced in my experience here in TX.

Anyhow best of luck!

3. Also, remember you can always finish up in the oven, if it all goes wrong or after you've got a good amount of smoke on the meat. Once you wrap them, if you decide to do so, they won't be taking anymore smoke anyway. You could even put them back on the wsm to finish.

Good luck!