How to do duck

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

shellbellc

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
Jun 7, 2006
Valley Forge, PA
I bought a duck over the weekend. I just went in search of a thread and didn't see any for duck. Has anyone ever smoked duck? Any special notes, rubs, marinade, brine or finishing sauce? I don't really care for it but hubby loves it.

Found this on line Shell, seams straight foward enough. If you do try this please let me know what you think....I love to order duck when we go out, but have never tried it at home.

SMOKED PEKING DUCK

Pouring boiling hot water over the duck helps to drain away the fat that is just under the skin. This step is necessary to give you the crisp skin that makes Peking Duck so good.
INGREDIENTS:
  • 1 3-4 pound duck
  • 1 orange
  • 1 onion
  • 5 tablespoons honey
  • 3 tablespoons wine vinegar
  • 3 tablespoons sherry
  • 2 tablespoons soy sauce
  • pepper to taste
PREPARATION:

Preheat smoker. Mix the juice of 1/2 of the orange with the honey, wine vinegar, sherry, soy sauce and pepper. Bring to a boil and let cool. Pierce the skin of the duck in several places with a sharp fork and pour about a gallon of boiling hot water over it.
Stuff with the onion and the other half of the orange. Let dry. Place in smoker and smoke for about 3 hours or until the internal temperature reaches 160 degrees. Glaze with 1/2 of the sauce every 30 minutes during the smoking process. Serve with the other 1/2 of the sauce.

just a quick quick observation...

when they make peking duck they dont use water to pour on the skin...they actually keep pouring ladel after ladel of smoking hot oil over the skin to give it crispy skin...saw once in chinatown being done

i have never thought about smoking a duck until now because you always want a duck breast to be medium rare like a good steak and i thought it would be too dry..

hmm questions questions..lol

Thanks Theresa! Looks like a good start...

Hey Jeff, I didn't know that I should do duck to medium rare, I was thinking it was like any other bird. For the skin crisp, I was thinking I could just turn up the smoker at the end...

That's probably why it's to die for in a good chinese resturant.....I knew there had to be somthing fattening in there, it was just to good not to be.
icon_rolleyes.gif

i really dont know on this one... i have always cooked my duck breasts to medium rare... and watch lots of cooking shows do the same so i thought it was right..lol

on the shows they fry the breasts that have had the skin cut into diamond patterns at a high heat... now i am going to have to google as this just to be sure..lol

You need to ***** the skin or cut slits to let the grease out. Ducks are little fat factory's to insulate them against the cold water. We rarely have any ducks in the supermarket here but I have several mallards and gadwalds in the freezer waiting on something to be done with them. Had an old BBQ man in my original hometown in Arkansas that used to smoke them for over 24 hours at a low temp stuffed with wild rice.
PDT_Armataz_01_34.gif
Man, it would just fall off the bone. My mama and grandma would take the breast out and slice it into little steaks, pound it out, season and flour it, fry it and then smother it in gravy, It was to die for.

Yummmmmmmmmmmm chicken fried duck breast!

Lokks like everyones got it covered except - Tuck some crushed garlic cloves under the skin with a bit of orange peel - oooooooooooweeeee!

Whatever yo do don't forget to ***** the skin - alot!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky