How to cook my brats?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
I've done this with sausage as well. Really nice results.

Gives you more square footage of crunch!
Man I trying to get my list down and you just added to it!

Sometimes I'll poach my sausage in beer and onions for about ten minutes, then panfry the sausage to brown in butter, save and drain the onions. Serve on a French roll slathered with horseradish mustard, topped with the onions from the poach. RAY

I like beer braised brats. I'll brown the brats in the skillet with some butter. Remove the brats and add onions and saute for a couple of minutes. Put the brats back in with some Lagunitas Imperial stout, maybe a cup at most, cook down until the liquid is almost gone...
For the Win! 👍👍

I like mine slow cooked in a crockpot. Line the bottom of crockpot with sliced sweet onions. place brats on top add a few bottles of a lager beer...couple of cloves of crushed garlic, onion powder, a pinch or 2 of crushed red pepper seeds. and slow cook all day. Carefully remove and brown...I like on the grill for the grill marks. Replace in your original crockpot till ready to serve. Hard French Roll-Sauerkraut-stone ground mustard

Reactions: negolien
Method depends on the brat type to me but the standard german method is my default is this^. Smoked brats like knockers do well in the oven baked in kraut. In fact, often times I prefer to use kielbasa instead.

How much water? these are original bratwurst sausage from wildfork. there's only 4 in a pack and it's just me eating them so... I do have some other sweet italian sausage that I am gonna put in Spanish rice or red beans and rice I think.

All the German delis I've ever been to poached the sausages in a pot full of water. If they are browned it's done in a pan or on a flat top after they're fully cooked. Not boiling is the trick, just the lowest simmer

Reactions: negolien
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky