How to better move heat through my smoker

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Jaxturbo3

Original poster
Jul 29, 2019
I built my smoker a while back and it works pretty well, doesn’t take much to get it hot, holds heat well, the only issue I’m having is it’s tough to move heat through it evenly. Near the fire box it will be hot but it doesn’t seem to move the heat as far as I’d like. Any ideas?
9ysIINN

The picture is not showing up for me. Could repost the picture or try a different one?

This link might take you to the gallery I posted a while back on imgur. Let me know if that doesn’t work.

There the pictures are, Thanks. On the fire box, what do the air inlets look like? Looks like it should draft well. Have you tried tuning plates all along the pit, not just the one near the firebox? What is the temp near the box, and on the opposite side?

I haven’t tried any other plates, and I’ll have to get a picture of the air vent when I get home. I can get the area next to the fire box up to about 250 and it’ll drop to 210 or so by the far side of the vertical.

Could try insulating the horizontal cook chamber. Seems like you're losing heat before it reaches the vertical chamber. A longer baffle or more tuning plates in the horizontal could help too.

Add air inlets directly across from the FB/CC opening... That will allow air flow to move heat from the FB through the system... AND, being above the fire, will not increase the heat in the smoker...
You will have the lower air inlet to adjust the heat generated.....

Folks here build their smokers with that design...

FB air flow diagram 2.jpg FB Inlets.jpg ski-freak air inlet.jpg Smoker exh and int 3 Ahumadora.jpg Smoker Exh and Intakes 2.jpg Smoker FB wimpy69.jpg

I would put 4 each ~1 1/8" holes with a slide damper at the location shown.. Be sure the holes are 1 1/4" or more apart so there's no overlap..

FB inlets 2.jpeg

Is there an advantage to doing multiple small holes compared to one big one?

CC Dia inches x CC Dia inches x 0.7854 x CC length inches x 0.001 x 0.2 = Square inches for the upper air inlet opening..

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky