How long can I let a brisket hang?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

prestonk08

Smoke Blower
Original poster
Feb 14, 2014
Michigan
So I am cooking 4 butts and 2 full packer briskets Saturday for a party we’re hosting Sunday. I’m not too worried about the butts because they can be reheated easily in a roasting pan but I want to do a better job with the briskets. So here’s what I was thinking. Cook to temp the day before, which because of my work will get done around 2am. Let it rest in a cooler wrapped until I wake my butt up around 7 or so. Put in a roasting pan whole set at 150 degrees and let it hang until we get off the river and eat around 4 or 5. Any thoughts on that kind of timeline? I cooked them last year but then just re-heated them. They were good but I lost my bark and I didn’t care for the result. I’m being a tad picky.

My $0.02...the few times I have wraped and held a brisket for more than an hour I started to lose some of that "crunch"...maybe some others will chime in with some advice.
As far as the rest of your plan, sounds like it should work...Aaron Franklin has a segment on YouTube where he describes holding a brisket all day in a 165° "hot box"...You might search it out and review his "holding" technique...I'd guess Aaron has holding brisket figured out about as good as anyone.
Walt

You’re right on wrapping them in foil. I was thinking I would do that this time just long enough to push through the stall and then unwrap it and finish it off naked in the pan. Thanks Walt.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky