How can I find the best Electric smokers?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Ashraf jaman

Original poster
Apr 1, 2018
There are a lot of things to consider while buying an electric smoker. I want to know about those factors that I should consider while buying an electric smoker.

OK you want opinions. Remember they are only opinions.
A electric smoker is just a box with a element in it to provide heat.
Everything else is just a option.
As far as the amount of heat I would not want less than 5 watts per sq" by volume.
I hope I wrote that right. l x h x w / wattage. 5 watts would be the minimum but more than 6 would be excessive for low and slow smoking. The type of controller comes into play also.
If you are talking the best and most versatile the PID type would be my choice ae best. The best brand in my opinion would be The Auber. Interior options like the meat thermometer, I would not pay for a intergrated one. Most from smoker manufacturers are not very accurate or the operator does not understand them. I use a 732 but there are several others that are as good and more hi-tec. With that said I would not want or pay for a wifi capable smoker. I may be showing my age with the above opinions . I just described a Smokin-It 2D or 3D. Those would be my choices for a electric for under 1000.00
At 899.00 and 699.00 delivered for a quality chinese smoker with a good warranty, it is not a bad price. You can buy a smoker of lesser quality for less money but you wanted opinions on the best.

I use a dual probe Auber with a cheap $49 (3 decades ago) Big Chief and it works great. I also use the Auber with an OBS (Bradley). As mentioned above, an electric smoker is simply a heat source and wood - it can be as simple or complex as you like.

There are a lot of things to consider while buying an electric smoker. I want to know about those factors that I should consider while buying an electric smoker.

Hi there and welcome!

My opinion on the best smoker to buy would be the following:

• Has a PID controller (holds very very very tight temp control)
  • No built in meat thermometer. You will buy a 3rd party thermometer anyhow so may as well save the money plus the meat thermometers that come with most electric units seem to be off anyhow forcing you to buy a Wireless multi-probe thermometer anyhow (get at least 2 probes but the more the better)
  • I feel that a glass door is not worth it. Some like it but I don't, especially since I gave up on keeping it clean and I never sat outside and watched the food through the door anyhow. The wireless thermometers tell me all I need to know :)
  • Size - Is Big Enough to smoke a whole packer brisket. You want enough size to do larger cuts of meat without having to split the meat or be limited by your smoker size. I don't smoke for a large group of people very often BUT I like that I can put a 16 pound brisket or 20 pounds of pork butts into my smoker and smoke them if/when needed. This is why the Masterbuilt Electric Smoker 30" (MES30) is no good for me but the MES 40" is fine.
  • Can accommodate the use of the A-Maze-N Pellet Smoker (AMNPS) tray for set and forget smoke generation. The AMNPS allows you to burn pellets or dust for 9-12 hours or so without having to watch it and it produces perfect Thin Blue Smoke (TBS). This means you don't have to fight with adding more wood every 30 minutes AND/OR you don't have to worry about managing the wood to produce the right kind of smoke. The AMNPS does this all for you with basically zero effort
  • The body is Insulated and of good construction. I've not heard of any of the big brand names producing poor body and insulation but I'm sure they are out there. The masterbuilt analogue electric smokers have no insulation so that would be a turn off for me.

In all I think I just described the Smokin-IT 3D or 4D unit.
If I had it to do all over again I would have gone into those units OR just buy a used MES for cheap and rewired and added the HeaterMeter PID controller, etc. like I ended up doing anyhow lol.

I hope this info helps :)

Reactions: bbqjefff
Budget will be your #1 concern I assume,on the low end Masterbuilt is your best option and on the high end Smokin-it is your best option and in the middle are a ton of other smokers.Research everything you can.All this is just my opinion.

The chart below is a couple of years old so prices are not up to date. These are the best consumer electric smokers available (I am biased toward Smokin-it and Cookshack)) so you will pay more. Suggest you visit their individual sites for current info. I hope the download works. But if not, just look at Smoking-it, CookShac and SmokinTex. Feature for feature and warranty for warranty, Smokin-it is the hands down winner.

Attachments

• SmokerComparison.xlsx
    13.5 KB · Views: 198
Last edited:
tallbm's comments are spot on!

Just remember, you generally only get what you are willing to pay for.

reyesmkc, I bought one probably 10yrs ago for $200. I immediately modified it and it works great every time I want to use it. It was a basic Masterbuilt model with an element that is something around 1500 watts and no fancy digital control. It has a knob for low/medium/high. That is not the best solution, but it works. I modified it by purchasing an Auber PID and use that to maintain the temps. Just plug the element controller into the Auber, set the temp and sleep all night without worry.

I also discovered that the wood box that sat on top of the element worked but it required reloading and I needed to use a very heavy glove or pliers to remove it or get badly burned. That also let all the heat out. So, I bought a thing that held pellets (A-maze-n Smoker). Using that required some air flow, so I drilled two holes on each side of the smoker a couple of inches from the bottom and it worked great. It is low profile and I set it on a bottom rack with an aluminum pan on a shelf above it. That pan keeps juice from extinguishing the smoke. It does require a torch to get it lit and burning well. I use a kitchen torch to light it.

The Auber controller sits on top and the probe goes into a hole on the back of the smoker. Easy. The thing I learned the hard way was buying the Auber controller that could handle the wattage. The first time, I bought one that was not rated for the wattage of my element and burned out the SSR. They actually replaced it and it was my error. I don't think that is a problem now and I think the one they sell for the Bradley is the one I have. I see it is on sale too.

Links to my smoker setup are below:

Reactions: Jcarter93
I am biased, no doubt about it. I would look for a well insulated, stainless steel smoker. If made in USA is important, look no further than the models from Cook Shack. They are manufactured in Oklahoma. There racks are NOT stainless steel; that would be an upgrade. As for the other stainless steel smokers, Smokin-it (SI) and SmokinTex (ST), they are Chinese imports of high quality. Racks are all stainless steel. Smokin-it has the most options available from analog to PID to PID with wi-fi. The PID models are equipped with controllers manufactured by Auber.

In checking the SI and ST websites, there are folks using the AMNPS with the smokers for long smoke times as well as cold smoking. They are very efficient and produce long smoke times as per the many users here on the forum. Other folks use an external smoke generator and pump to get longer smoke times for normal smoking as well as cold smoking. Probably the best known brand in the Smoke Daddy line. Another line introduced last year does from SI and is called Bella. Both of these units can be used with just about any electric smoker. It pretty much comes down to what you want to do, and like the smoker itself, your budget will have to dictate what you can afford. Here is a link to a comparison of the two smoke generators:

https://www.smokingmeatforums.com/threads/smoke-daddy-or-the-bella-cold-smoker.296168/#post-2067949

reyesmkc, I bought one probably 10yrs ago for $200. I immediately modified it and it works great every time I want to use it. It was a basic Masterbuilt model with an element that is something around 1500 watts and no fancy digital control. It has a knob for low/medium/high. That is not the best solution, but it works. I modified it by purchasing an Auber PID and use that to maintain the temps. Just plug the element controller into the Auber, set the temp and sleep all night without worry.

I also discovered that the wood box that sat on top of the element worked but it required reloading and I needed to use a very heavy glove or pliers to remove it or get badly burned. That also let all the heat out. So, I bought a thing that held pellets (A-maze-n Smoker). Using that required some air flow, so I drilled two holes on each side of the smoker a couple of inches from the bottom and it worked great. It is low profile and I set it on a bottom rack with an aluminum pan on a shelf above it. That pan keeps juice from extinguishing the smoke. It does require a torch to get it lit and burning well. I use a kitchen torch to light it.

The Auber controller sits on top and the probe goes into a hole on the back of the smoker. Easy. The thing I learned the hard way was buying the Auber controller that could handle the wattage. The first time, I bought one that was not rated for the wattage of my element and burned out the SSR. They actually replaced it and it was my error. I don't think that is a problem now and I think the one they sell for the Bradley is the one I have. I see it is on sale too.

Links to my smoker setup are below:

The Auber WS-1211GPH is 12 amps 1,440 watts max output. You have a 1,500 watt element 12.5 amps. The controller you have is still under powered for your amp draw. They should have recommended the WS-1510ELPM that is 15 amp 1,800 watts max output. How long have you been using the WS-1211GPH? Does the heat sink get hot?

Look into this smoker. Same design for decades:

And this which is utterly simple:

Or this which has been around for decades:

Last edited:
Personally I really like Masterbuilt. I have a 40 inch Masterbuilt electric smoker and have had it for 5 years. Never really had any problems. I replaced the wood chip tray once but that's it.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky