Hot N... Holy Smokes That's Fast Brisket! 4 Hours Including Rest!

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Misplaced Nebraskan

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
Sep 20, 2018
Austin, TX
Good Morning Y'all! Did a Brisket yesterday and wanted to document the cook. I had planned on cooking this brisket at some point this week but decided yesterday, after lunchtime, that I wanted Brisket. I figured now is as good as time as any to try out the hot and fast method. The Brisket was already trimmed and rubbed from a couple days prior so I went out and got the pit fired up. I'm calling this one: "My most successful failure" details after pics.

Cook Details:

Date: 6/22/19
Meat: Costco Prime Packer
Initial Weight: 10.5 lbs
Trim Weight: around 9 lbs
Rub: Wooster Sauce Base, Salt, Pepper, Garlic, PitFaced Spicy
Cooker: Pitts & Spitts Maverick 1250
Pellets: B&B Post Oak with A-Maze-N Smoke Tube with Pecan Pellets
Style: Fat Cap Down with Point over Heat Source
Pit Temp: 350°F
Spritz or Spray: Nothing
Cook Time Brisket: 2.5 Hours... not a typo
Rest Time Brisket: 1.5 Hours

Ready to Roll:

full

Brisket on with the tube smoker smoldering

full

One hour in

full

2.5 hours and it was at 203°F in the flat already! Double checked with Thermopop and it felt close-ish to what I'm used to (more on that later)

full

After letting the temp subside a bit, I double wrapped it in foil

full

Double Towel Wrap

full

Ready to Rest

full

Custom Yeti Coleman cooler:emoji_laughing:

full

90 minute rest

full

Sliced

full

Salvaged and served...

full

Final Thoughts:

Wow did this thing cook fast. I was expecting around 4-5 hours cook time honestly. The pit held temp great. This thing just cruised. At the one hour point I thought about dropping the temp but I was committed at this point. I thought the Stall would curb it a little. What stall?! This thing just kept clicking away at the degrees and climbing upwards.

At 2 hours it was at temp. I went out with a thermopop and double checked. ended up re-positioning probes and it dropped from 200°F to 180°F. That's a little better. Still, 30 minutes later it was alarming again. Checked for doneness with probe. Felt close. I know the window is much smaller for pulling these so I went ahead and pulled it. 2.5 hours. I knew there was no way all the fat rendered properly but figured I could chop if I needed to... Foreshadowing...

I started slicing. Nice easy pulls of the knife. Maybe there's hope! Picked up a slice and started pulling it apart. It made a terrible tearing noise and I just chuckled. This stuff was drrrrrrryyyyyy.

The flavor/taste was actually pretty damn good. the smoke tube actually added a small wisp of flavor. even for a truncated cook. The rub was a bit mushy on top. Steamed out the barq during rest. Too much residual heat still. Smell and Taste did not overcome texture though.

Out came the cleaver. Had to kick the dogs outside as the hate the chopping action. Saved a few slices cause I had some Kings Hawaiian Rolls calling my name. Tossed the Chop in some sauce and made a little plate up.

Meh. Very Meh. too dry and tough. But I did learn a lot and that counts for something right?! I really think this brisket was a touch to small for the hot and fast method. Well, at 350°F anyway. Should have done 275°F but hey, that's what trial runs are for.

Had a blast. I was freaking out a lot watching the temp climb so fast and trying to get the timing down. Lots of fun. I'll be going back to Low and Slow for now and circle back to this method some other time.

Just wanted to share my adventure.

Y'all take care,

Zach

Hey man you live and you learn. Brisket looks great though salvaged brisket taco's are good! My favorite part is the custom yeti coleman lol
Thanks! Yup. Was a learning experience. It'll make good sammies and tacos for the next few days anyway. Always a way to salvage leftovers.

Those Coleman coolers work really well actually. The stickers make em work even better :emoji_laughing:

They say we learn from our (your) mistakes. At least enjoy what you have and say lesson learned.

Warren
Exactly right Warren. Got some knowledge out of it and made some notes. I'll try again at some point, but I'll stick to my normal methods for now. Was a good experience though.

Well... It looks better than it was.
Nice test run, kind of maybe confirms what I thought about mine.
Being that a BIG brisket could better handle the heat.
But maybe, just maybe, it only needed a few more degrees to render.
"It is a fine line" as they say.

But hey, lots you can do with that dry brisket, crockpot chopped, Chile, stew, nachos and more.

Others cooked some Extremely H/F with good results.
I need to try it with one under 15lbs.
See what my results are.

Great report, Like!

Last edited:
Well... It looks better than it was.
Nice test run, kind of maybe confirms what I thought about mine.
Being that a BIG brisket could better handle the heat.
But maybe, just maybe, it only needed a few more degrees to render.
"It is a fine line" as you say.

But hey, lots you can do with that dry brisket, crockpot chopped, Chile, stew, nachos and more.

Others cooked some Extremely H/F with good results.
I need to try it with one under 15lbs.
See what my results are.

Great report, Like!

Thanks Chili! and Yup. Got a lot of good notes from the cook for sure. Next time I'll have a better attack plan. Chilis and Stews sound real good, just not conducive with the weather. Guess I'll have to crank the A/C and make it wort it :emoji_laughing:

Misplaced Nebraskan Thanks for the like it is appreciated.

Warren

:emoji_thumbsup:

I don't know Misplaced, from the pics it all looks good. Have you tried adding some a jus? Another suggestion for dry brisket is hash ummmgoood.

Point for sure
Chris

Reactions: Misplaced Nebraskan
I don't know Misplaced, from the pics it all looks good. Have you tried adding some a jus? Another suggestion for dry brisket is hash ummmgoood.

Point for sure
Chris
Photo'd well for sure Chris. But there was no faking the dryness :emoji_anguished:. I didn't lose any sleep over it. I'll make up some jus to hydrate it for leftovers, but the flavor is there. Really tasty, just pulls the moisture from your mouth :emoji_laughing:

Some Hash for breakfast is a good plan too! Thank you!

Had a little bit of the chopped for lunch. With a bit of sauce, it still eats well enough the next day. Like I said, I use the term "failure" lightly above. Still pleased with most of it. :emoji_ok_hand:

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky