Hickory Smoked Tomato Soup with Sour Cream and Cilantro

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

ranger72

Meat Mopper
Original poster
OTBS Member
Jul 18, 2005
Mrs. ranger gave me the book I took this from for Christmas one year and I have made this soup many times!

Warning! It is an egregious violation to use anything but Dead Ripe Tomatoes from your own garden in the manufacturing of this Nectar of the Gods! :shock:

Hickory Smoked Tomato Soup with Sour Cream and Cilantro

I use Hickory Chunks on Hardwood embers for this.

8 Large Dead Ripe Tomatoes from your Garden... Halved

3 nice Carrots peeled

1 Red Bell Pepper

1 cup home made Chicken Stock (If you must use canned on this insure
there is NO MSG involved)

1/2 cup chopped fresh Cilantro

2 cups half and half

1/2 cup sour cream

1 Tablespoon of pure high quality Chili Powder :twisted:

Salt to taste

Pre-heat your smoker to 225-250 degrees and place Tomatoe Halves (cut-side up) whole Carrots and whole Bell Pepper in smoker in a mesh basket until skins of Tomatoes and Pepper begin to Char and Blister and Peel.

If you don't have a mesh basket simply use a double layer of Aluminum Foil
wink.gif

When veggies are done Remove skins, seeds and stems by processing through a food mill. (you can purchase a cheap food mill at almost any hardware store)

Heat your Chicken Stock in a saucepan over medium heat and then add the smoked Veggie Puree and the chili powder and Cilantro and bring to a boil stirring constantly; reduce heat and simmer for 5-10 minutes. :D

Add half and Half and Sour Cream and whisk vigorously until mixture is smooth.

Now simmer on Low Heat for 20-30 minutes stirring until mixture thickens.

You will now taste :D and add enough salt to bring all the flavors into balance.....

Serve Piping hot in soup bowls and garnish with some freshly chopped Cilantro :lol: along with your favorite Crusty Bread!

Of Course, you may substitute warm flour tortillas for the crusty bread.

Now! If you really want to go crazy throw some nice big skewered Shrimps sprinkled with a little of the Chili Powder into your smoker while you are preparing the soup... :twisted:

Then to finish this off serve a highly chilled bottle of quality Chardonnay wine...Oh! Yes! Almost forgot the Green Salad!

Ladies and Gentlemen...Living Well Is The Best Revenge!

ranger72 8)

q3131a!

If its not garden time where you live please try the best you can to get high quality, very ripe tomatoes, Then you will love it!

Good Luck!

ranger72

OTBS # 14

Ranger,

It's never garden time where I live. I live on the water and salt intrusion makes it almost impossible to grow tomatoes or any other fruit bearing plant that can't stand salt.

I will check the farm stand down the street though. They ususally have good produce.

q3131a!

I noticed that you live on the west coast of FLA and I think some really great produce comes out of Central Florida all year...round about Ocala and so forth so you should be able to get great tomatoes any time of the year.

Ten Dash Four on the Salt Intrusion...near where you live...

let us know what you think after trying the soup!

Thanks,

ranger72 :) OTBS # 14

Here is an old gardening trick. You can put unripe tomatoes in a paper bag with one apple. As the apple continues to ripen it will omit a gas that will ripen the tomatoes.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky