Hi from the UK

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

bumf

Original poster
Sep 26, 2021
Hey everyone, just checking in as a new member. Have used these forums many, many times for recipes and help.

I recently bought a Cameron’s stove top smoker, and done two smokes so far - (American) bacon from a pork belly, and St. Louis style ribs, which were incredible.

Planning my third smoke on Tuesday after the pellicle has formed, on a (UK style) back bacon from pork loin.

The back bacon has been curing in 3% salt, 0.25% Prague #1 and I forget how much brown sugar - maybe 2%. It has been curing in the fridge for 14 days, has been turned most days, but forgotten a few times. Seems the back bacon is a little brownish rather than pink in some of the middle areas (photos attached). Will that be fine?

Thanks in advance!

Attachments

• 21F3A9BF-EED0-4F57-BCEA-2201B77FEB80.jpeg
    21F3A9BF-EED0-4F57-BCEA-2201B77FEB80.jpeg
    203.6 KB · Views: 14
  • 5A414567-8292-47CE-BC8A-B9FACEEA94B4.jpeg
    5A414567-8292-47CE-BC8A-B9FACEEA94B4.jpeg
    113.2 KB · Views: 13
  • 432CC8D3-343F-4D2F-BCF7-82FEF6AF458C.jpeg
    432CC8D3-343F-4D2F-BCF7-82FEF6AF458C.jpeg
    101.7 KB · Views: 13
Reactions: SecondHandSmoker
welcome. great to see some smokin' in the UK. On all my trips I don't think I have had any bbq.

i
Thanks a lot! To be honest, BBQ is not a common type of restaurant in the UK. In recent years more Brazilian and USA style BBQ "joints" have appeared. I don't really count places like Nando's which cook their chicken on an open grill, even though it's a similar method.

In terms of "traditional" BBQ in the UK, I'm sure there are many others out there like myself who spend a month preparing the meat, 20 hours cooking it and then 3 hours eating it, but the most common approach to BBQ in the UK is to drink as much alcohol as possible and try not to burn the food. I've always been envious of the care and methods BBQ is approached with in the US, and hope to visit the Deep South some day for a BBQ bonanza tour.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky