Help!

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Thanks to everyone. Your ideas and suggestions were very helpful.
I made...

3E244557-A811-452D-A05E-1CB56176C445.jpeg
Found some roasted chopped hatch chilies in the freezer. So first a pot of green chili

CF7B8D4A-3127-4BEA-A9B5-1193AFD7D5BC.jpeg
The chicken shredded

D30D1181-5F9D-401E-86C5-B3E5DF535813.jpeg
Chicken on white corn tortillas with the green chilie

24B2F545-47D5-42D2-A274-CCA98AF6B2B1.jpeg
Next a layer of black beans and corn salsa

162E08F4-64FD-445E-B1A8-782BE2A0CDA1.jpeg
Repeat and finish with green chili

5D8F0B41-62F0-4CDD-AB33-53902C7FAD01.jpeg
Bake at 425 for 30 min.

0F3F856C-797B-4CD4-98D7-749C2D44B032.jpeg
Cut into pieces.

C9BF0510-0B3B-40AD-84E7-C0CDF26D9851.jpeg
Serve with “sour cream”, avocado, and homemade tomatillo salsa.

Enchilada casserole!

Attachments

• 863CDD0C-A430-4134-844C-0F048E2C3B6D.jpeg
    863CDD0C-A430-4134-844C-0F048E2C3B6D.jpeg
    217.9 KB · Views: 3
Looks and sounds good, Cooker. Nice outcome.

I'm curious about the "sour cream" you used. Was it a commercial non-dairy product like the stuff from Tofutti or Wayfair, or a homemade sour cream substitute? Around three years ago, my daughter, in a moment of enlightened self-diagnosis, concluded that she was lactose intolerant. Shortly thereafter, those products, as well as others started appearing on the refrigerator shelves. Naturally, I sampled each of them and they all tasted pretty much like nothing. The common feature in all of them is that they lacked the "sour" feature of sour cream which, to me, rendered them all as pointless. She then started tweaking them with lemon juice and/or cider vinegar and ultimately moved on to making her own from scratch after testing dozens of recipes. Her current version is much better than what she started out with, but I haven't bothered to inquire about the formulation.

Last edited:
Looks good. What did the Clan think of it?

Looks and sounds good, Cooker. Nice outcome.

I'm curious about the "sour cream" you used. Was it a commercial non-dairy product like the stuff from Tofutti or Wayfair, or a homemade sour cream substitute? Around three years ago, my daughter, in a moment of enlightened self-diagnosis, concluded that she was lactose intolerant. Shortly thereafter, those products, as well as others started appearing on the refrigerator shelves. Naturally, I sampled each of them and they all tasted pretty much like nothing. The common feature in all of them is that they lacked the "sour" feature of sour cream which, to me, rendered them all as pointless. She then started tweaking them with lemon juice and/or cider vinegar and ultimately moved on to making her own from scratch after testing dozens of recipes. Her current version is much better than what she started out with, but I haven't bothered to inquire about the formulation.

I used the tofutti sour cream with squirt of lime. You daughter was correct texture and mouth feel pretty good, real sour cream taste not so much. I’d love to get your daughter’s recipe (if it is really non-dairy).

I used the tofutti sour cream with squirt of lime. You daughter was correct texture and mouth feel pretty good, real sour cream taste not so much. I’d love to get your daughter’s recipe (if it is really non-dairy).

I know it's definitely non-dairy, but uncertain of the final ingredients she settled on. There was a point when the kitchen looked like a laboratory when she was experimenting with different formulations. I recall that some had tofu, and some didn't. Same with soy, soy milk, coconut milk, non-dairy yogurt, lemon juice, cider vinegar, etc. The R&D costs had to be pretty significant for her little project.

She and a girlfriend flew to Rome last week. They're traveling in Europe and won't be back in the U.S. until Labor Day. I'll send her an email to see if she has the recipe on her laptop, or if it's buried somewhere in her room. I'll let you know when I hear back.

I know it's definitely non-dairy, but uncertain of the final ingredients she settled on. There was a point when the kitchen looked like a laboratory when she was experimenting with different formulations. I recall that some had tofu, and some didn't. Same with soy, soy milk, coconut milk, non-dairy yogurt, lemon juice, cider vinegar, etc. The R&D costs had to be pretty significant for her little project.

She and a girlfriend flew to Rome last week. They're traveling in Europe and won't be back in the U.S. until Labor Day. I'll send her an email to see if she has the recipe on her laptop, or if it's buried somewhere in her room. I'll let you know when I hear back.

Appreciate it. Hope she has a great and safe time.

Appreciate it. Hope she has a great and safe time.

cooker,

My daughter's been on the go but she finally got a chance to send the recipe for non-dairy sour cream that she either found, or cobbled together. See below.

As a disclaimer, I sampled a few of the results of the various versions she experimented with but I don't know if this recipe was in that group. There were some subtle differences between the samples I had but the one thing they had in common was that they all were superior to commercial products such as Tofutti, etc.

Cultured Non-Dairy Sour Cream

Total Time: 2 days 1 hour 30 minutes

Servings: 16 (2 Tbs. servings)

Ingredients

• 1¼ cup raw cashews (not roasted or salted)
  • 2-3 probiotic capsules (see notes)
  • 1 cup water
  • ¼ tsp. sea salt
  • 1 Tbs. lemon juice
  • ½ to 1 tsp. apple cider vinegar, to taste
Instructions

1. Soak cashews in very hot water for 1 hour or in cool water for 6 hours or overnight. Drain.
  2. Add drained cashews to a high-speed blender such as a Blendtec or Vitamax with water and blend until creamy and smooth, scraping down sides of blender as needed.
  3. Scrape mixture into a mixing bowl and add probiotic capsules. Stir with a wooden or plastic spoon (not metal as it can react with the probiotics) until fully incorporated.
  4. Cover with a piece of cheesecloth or a very thin towel and secure with a rubber band. Let rest on the counter (preferably in a room warmer than 70° F/21° C) for at least 24 hours or up to 48 hours. The longer it rests, the thicker and tangier it will become. We found 48 hours to be the sweet spot.
  5. Once the mixture has reached your preferred tanginess and texture, uncover and add the salt, lemon juice, and apple cider vinegar. Stir thoroughly to combine.
  6. Taste test and adjust as needed, adding more lemon juice for acidity, salt for saltiness, or apple cider vinegar for tanginess.
  7. Use immediately, or for cold sour cream, chill at least 6 hours. Will keep covered in refrigerator for 5 days, oftentimes longer. You'll know its gone bad when mold has formed or it no longer smells and tastes appetizing. The finished product can be frozen.
Notes:

· For probiotics like Renew Life 50 billion and Jarrow make sure your probiotics don’t contain PREbiotics or the recipe won’t work. Also use capsules as opposed to tablets, which are not as high quality and need to be crushed. One probiotic capsule (emptied) should measure about 1/3 tsp. probiotic powder.

· For those with an allergy to cashews, substitute an equal amount of silken tofu.

cooker,

My daughter's been on the go but she finally got a chance to send the recipe for non-dairy sour cream that she either found, or cobbled together. See below.

As a disclaimer, I sampled a few of the results of the various versions she experimented with but I don't know if this recipe was in that group. There were some subtle differences between the samples I had but the one thing they had in common was that they all were superior to commercial products such as Tofutti, etc.

Ingredients

• 1 cup water
  • ¼ tsp. sea salt
  • 1 Tbs. lemon juice
Instructions

1. Soak cashews in very hot water for 1 hour or in cool water for 6 hours or overnight. Drain.
  2. Add drained cashews to a high-speed blender such as a Blendtec or Vitamax with water and blend until creamy and smooth, scraping down sides of blender as needed.
  3. Scrape mixture into a mixing bowl and add probiotic capsules. Stir with a wooden or plastic spoon (not metal as it can react with the probiotics) until fully incorporated.
  4. Cover with a piece of cheesecloth or a very thin towel and secure with a rubber band. Let rest on the counter (preferably in a room warmer than 70° F/21° C) for at least 24 hours or up to 48 hours. The longer it rests, the thicker and tangier it will become. We found 48 hours to be the sweet spot.
  5. Once the mixture has reached your preferred tanginess and texture, uncover and add the salt, lemon juice, and apple cider vinegar. Stir thoroughly to combine.
  6. Taste test and adjust as needed, adding more lemon juice for acidity, salt for saltiness, or apple cider vinegar for tanginess.
  7. Use immediately, or for cold sour cream, chill at least 6 hours. Will keep covered in refrigerator for 5 days, oftentimes longer. You'll know its gone bad when mold has formed or it no longer smells and tastes appetizing. The finished product can be frozen.
Notes:

· For probiotics like Renew Life 50 billion and Jarrow make sure your probiotics don’t contain PREbiotics or the recipe won’t work. Also use capsules as opposed to tablets, which are not as high quality and need to be crushed. One probiotic capsule (emptied) should measure about 1/3 tsp. probiotic powder.

· For those with an allergy to cashews, substitute an equal amount of silken tofu.
I might try this my self just to see how it tastes...wonder if it would be good in stroganoff...

cooker,

Ingredients

• 1 cup water
  • ¼ tsp. sea salt
  • 1 Tbs. lemon juice
Instructions

Notes:

Thanks a million

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky