Help! Can't keep temps up...

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

jeffesonm

Smoke Blower
Original poster
Mar 3, 2008
I'm about 1 1/2 hours into my second smoke ever, this one is a 8 1/2 lb pork shoulder. I'm using the ECB and just today made the mods suggested: holes in coal pan w/vent, holes on lid w/vent and moved the legs to the outside. I did the rub last night and brought it up to temp before starting the smoke. I filled the water pan with boiling water, filled the pan with lump charcoal and put a few hot coals on top. It came up to about 200 but has been hovering around there since.

Any ideas what's going on? The temp has been steady, which is better than my first smoke when they were up, down, up, down, etc. How can I get them a few degrees higher?

When you say you put a few coals on top do you mean a few or like a 1/4 of a chimney ?
As your smoke goes on check for ash build up around the coals, that can snuff out charcoal.

Also how is the weather, is it windy? A stiff breeze can bring down the temp some.

I put about a dozen 1/4" holes in the coal pan and maybe half that in the top. The top vent is covering 3/4 of the holes. I put maybe just a bit less than 1/4 chimney of hot coals, and now they're glowing pretty well and small blue flame is going. Temp is being taken by a digital probe thermometer resting on the grate. It's about 45-50 degrees out, slight breeze.

I put a few coals Temp is up to 224 now so maybe I just need to be more patient...

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky