Hello from Clearwater Idaho

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Bambi Kandy

Original poster
Jun 11, 2022
I'm happy to accidently find this site. My plan is to build a stationary/permanent smoke house for my present SHTF life. Preserving my wild meat supply and exploring another new skill is extremely necessary for my lifestyle and perhaps the one in the near future. I'll ask right off about the availability of preferred hardwoods for my smoke house in the North Central Idaho area. Red Oak, Hickory etc. are at the top of my list. I'm talking long term such as "cords" of preferred wood. Where might I find the wood I want/need? Thanks

Welcome from SE Arizona.
Your prefered woods for smoking might be difficult to come by in your area since those species are not indigenous to the area.
You could call some firewood suppliers in your area to see what they offer.

Reactions: sawhorseray
Welcome from SE Arizona.
Your prefered woods for smoking might be difficult to come by in your area since those species are not indigenous to the area.
You could call some firewood suppliers in your area to see what they offer.
That's the basis of my question. I live on timbered property but there's very limited hardwoods suitable for smoking in this area. If I can find suitable woods within a 200 mile radius I'll go cut and collect it. Living out west has it's own issues of (handicaps?). Buying pre charred, expensive bags of select wood just won't cut it. Until I can find a volume supplier of great wood I'll have to stick to my "recreational" weekend "playing".

That's the basis of my question. I live on timbered property but there's very limited hardwoods suitable for smoking in this area. If I can find suitable woods within a 200 mile radius I'll go cut and collect it. Living out west has it's own issues of (handicaps?). Buying pre charred, expensive bags of select wood just won't cut it. Until I can find a volume supplier of great wood I'll have to stick to my "recreational" weekend "playing".
Is Mesquite available in volume in your country? I've got a cousin who lives at Lake Havasu who could perhaps bring a truck load of mesquite up this way when he comes to visit...

Is Mesquite available in volume in your country? I've got a cousin who lives at Lake Havasu who could perhaps bring a truck load of mesquite up this way when he comes to visit...

Yes, mesquite is very abundant here in Southern Arizona. It starts getting a little more scarce the further north you go. But mesquites do grow around Lake Havasu.
Have you considered apple or cherry wood from the orchards up there?

Edit: When I say mesquite, I am referring to native mesquite. Not the hybid Chilean Mesquite grown for it's canopy shade up in Phoenix.

Last edited:
Reactions: sawhorseray
Welcome from Colorado.
Fruit woods are the best option here in the west. We also have gamble oak or scrub oak that grows here that works very well for smoking. Other woods that can be used successfully are aspen and large leaf cottonwood.

Welcome from Gilbert, AZ! Living in the desert where nothing but cactus grows when I had my offset smoker the source of hickory, oak, and apple to feed it came from Cabelas, gets pricy. RAY

Reactions: SecondHandSmoker
Welcome from Oregon! I spent some time working in the woods in Headquarters Idaho, just outside of Orofino.

Your best local bet is maple or oak if you can find it. Might find it in an older clearcut. Alder is used as a filler wood in pellets, but not a lot of flavor. No cedar or fir. Can you find a neighbor with some fruit trees where you can collect/trade for pruned limbs?

Can you find a neighbor with some fruit trees where you can collect/trade for pruned limbs?
If Idaho has the same problem with Bradford pear that many states have, it should be fairly easy to work up a good size stash of that.

Welcome from Oregon! I spent some time working in the woods in Headquarters Idaho, just outside of Orofino.

Your best local bet is maple or oak if you can find it. Might find it in an older clearcut. Alder is used as a filler wood in pellets, but not a lot of flavor. No cedar or fir. Can you find a neighbor with some fruit trees where you can collect/trade for pruned limbs?
There's lots of wild apple trees here that the deer have "planted". I'll start collecting some of those limbs. I've also got a very bushy volunteer plumb that needs to be thinned out. thanks for the help. I'll be looking for oak around here too.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky