Heat shield/deflector in offset

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Ya I like that and I think for us with flat bottom fire boxes its vital to have something to concentrate the coal bed rather than constantly raking coals back into the middle etc..they are sold out of those baskets online and he said hopefully end of the week but still nothing. I may have someone make one for me. I have a lot of faith in the design that it should work way better than nothing at all

I know you mentioned having a real hot zone on the side closest to the fire box..why not turn that basket and maybe shorten it so its not as long near the opening from fire box to cook chamber? Just a thought while looking at your set up...im a newbie so what do I know Hahahaha just a thoufht..

24x24x.7854x80=36,192
x 0.004 = 145 sq. in. area for the FB/CC opening, under the RF plate, and the end of the RF plate.....
x 0.001 = 36 sq. in. air inlets to the FB...
7 sq. in upper inlet and ~29 sq. in lower air inlet...
Upper air inlets.... I would go with 4 each, 2" holes.. torch cut... slide to match and installed like this smoker....

462709-83dfa44719ade959bf65a2b8a737cda9.jpg
462709-83dfa44719ade959bf65a2b8a737cda9.jpg
36,196 x .022 = 796 cubic inch volume for the stack...
36,192/.7854 x 36 = D squared of the stack = 28.2 = 5.3" diameter of the stack...

Change the exhaust stack to 6".......
Stack should be ~36" above the top of the CC...

Cut out the opening between the FB and CC per the picture....
9-11-20 JayDoug.jpg

When you build your fire, run the upper inlets wide open... adjust the lower inlet to achieve cooker temperature....

Slowly adjust theupper inlet to about 3 /4 open watch the temp and air flow.... You want lots of air flow.... the FB should be running close to the temperature of the CC... And use very little fuel...

24x24x.7854x80=36,192
x 0.004 = 145 sq. in. area for the FB/CC opening, under the RF plate, and the end of the RF plate.....
x 0.001 = 36 sq. in. air inlets to the FB...
7 sq. in upper inlet and ~29 sq. in lower air inlet...
Upper air inlets.... I would go with 4 each, 2" holes.. torch cut... slide to match and installed like this smoker....

View attachment 462850
View attachment 462851
36,196 x .022 = 796 cubic inch volume for the stack...
36,192/.7854 x 36 = D squared of the stack = 28.2 = 5.3" diameter of the stack...

Change the exhaust stack to 6".......
Stack should be ~36" above the top of the CC...

Cut out the opening between the FB and CC per the picture....
View attachment 462849
When you build your fire, run the upper inlets wide open... adjust the lower inlet to achieve cooker temperature....

Slowly adjust theupper inlet to about 3 /4 open watch the temp and air flow.... You want lots of air flow.... the FB should be running close to the temperature of the CC... And use very little fuel...

Man that is awesome, thanks. I'll get started on it as soon as I can.

I'll report back once I have her done.

Reactions: daveomak
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky