Has Anyone used western brand wood splits ?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Firemedic76

Smoke Blower
Original poster
May 27, 2019
There’s a sporting goods store by me that sells bags of both oak and hickory splits made by western brand, Im sure y’all know the name. I’d like to start using splits in my offset vs charcoal and chunks just wondered if anyone had used these and had any opinions. Does the oak provide good flavor, bag doesn’t say if it’s white oak or a diff kind. Bags are expensive though 40$ for one bag But I see just plain oak is fairly popular with some of the pittmasters I follow on the you tube. I’ve never used just oak, I mainly use a mix of apple, cherry or pecan which is prob my fav of the 3.

$40? How big are the bags, and are they in plastic or some kind of breathable burlap or sacks like oranges come in that can breathe?

$40? How big are the bags, and are they in plastic or some kind of breathable burlap or sacks like oranges come in that can breathe?
Their prob the Size of a 20# bag of lump charcoal in that burlap Sack so they can breathe.

While Western is good wood, it is not cost efficient to use for heat. They aren't too bad $$ for adding flavor to charcoal but not for a primary heat source.

Find a firewood suppler, tree trimmer, lawn and garden service, or the like to source wood by the cord or fraction of a cord to supply you with wood for heat. Look in the yellow pages, Craig's List, FB Market Place, or local paper's classifieds.

While Western is good wood, it is not cost efficient to use for heat. They aren't too bad $$ for adding flavor to charcoal but not for a primary heat source.

Find a firewood suppler, tree trimmer, lawn and garden service, or the like to source wood by the cord or fraction of a cord to supply you with wood for heat. Look in the yellow pages, Craig's List, FB Market Place, or local paper's classifieds.
My father in law also said he just cut some cherry and apple trees down so I’m def gonna take some of that.

Western Wood website
"Western Premium BBQ Products, Inc. is now a wholly-owned subsidiary of Duraflame® Inc."
I used to purchase only the hickory as it is not local to me.
I can source all the oak I want locally (as in back yard) for smoking.
Label on the bag said Texas. Not a clue if all the products originate in Texas.

Appreciate your handle. My son is fireman, EMT, and combat medic.

Western Wood website
"Western Premium BBQ Products, Inc. is now a wholly-owned subsidiary of Duraflame® Inc."
I used to purchase only the hickory as it is not local to me.
I can source all the oak I want locally (as in back yard) for smoking.
Label on the bag said Texas. Not a clue if all the products originate in Texas.

Appreciate your handle. My son is fireman, EMT, and combat medic.

I do the exact same thing, and have access to property with endless oak trees. I buy their hickory as we don't have that. I think it's good wood and can get a few cooks out of the bag, or mix it in with my oak. F Firemedic76 if you are getting fruit woods from your father in law, grab some of the western oak and use both during your cook.

Reactions: Firemedic76
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky