Half hog on cinder block smoker

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

SomeMeatGuy

Original poster
Nov 24, 2019
Hi folks.

I apologize if this was already asked, I can’t imagine it hasn’t been. I couldn’t find an answer.

I am looking at doing a 60 or 70 pound half hog on a new cinder block smoker. Half hog is $1 lb cheaper at this weight.

2 questions.

1. Can I assume that a half hog cook time is close to a whole hog cook time is, by weight? Any guesses at how long long this will take? I think I’m gunna target 225 cook temp. Let me know if this is wrong.

2. How much firewood should I plan on using? I understand this varries a lot based on smoker design, but I wanna make sure I have enough on hand and I don’t feel like breaking the bank, more than I already have, on more wood unless I need to.

Thank you!!

Growing up, that's how we always cooked a whole hog. We burned wood in a drum that had a grate made out of rebar about a foot up from the bottom. Below that was a cut out where a shovel would fit in. As the coals fell through the grate, we would shovel them under the hog. Just keep them spread out evenly and keep a close eye on your cook surface temps. We never cooked a half, but I'd imagine that the cook time would be close to a whole and 225℉-250℉ is good. If it's skin on, after the hog gets done, crank up the heat on the skin to crisp it, just be careful because you can burn the skin real quick. As for the amount of wood, all I can say is enough. I know that's of little help, but I believe that I'd have at least half of a pickup truck. Better to have too much than not enough.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky