Ground meat for jerky prep?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Allan28

Original poster
Dec 31, 2019
Looking to make my first batch this weekend, have been reading a lot and still have a couple questions?

Will be using a cure and seasoning mix in the ground, have read with muscle cuts to marinate in fridge for 24 hours. Although with ground don't see much on this?
1. After mixing cure and seasoning to ground, go straight to the smoker, or should it sit in the fridge a while, and if so, how long?

As with temp of smoker I have read a lot where some start out low and slowly ramp up, some start high than ramp down and some set a temp and leave it? I know you want to get the internal temp to 160-165 when it's wet, so this tells me to start high not low.
2. So I was to set the smoker at 180 and once I get a internal of 165, how long must you maintain this temp?
3. Once you are satisfied with the 165, do you lower the temp to complete the process?

Just read too many variations with starting and finishing temps, Thanks

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky