GrillGrates, worth it?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
To me there's no substitute for HIGH heat for steak. Hotter the better IMO. World famous Peter Luger Steakhouse uses a 1800F gas broiler. I have an old Jenn Air gasser and added a infrared sear burner about 7-8 years ago. 1500F. Night and day and total pro performance. Probably like 3-4x the heat output than the stock burner. The MINUTE that thing goes, I am getting another. Bet you could find one for the Weber. To give you an idea of the heat output on my gasser, the average ribeye is done in like 4m total. I flip at 90s, 60s, 45s, 30s. That's medium. To be perfectly honest, the GG seared pics look better than mine but doubt those have the char and crunch (and flavor) of mine. Some might not like that much char but we sure do.

20220424_183010_resized_2.jpg

Email just now: Save 20% with SPRING2023 coupon code.
Thanks for the code. That is making it more tempting to pull the trigger on them. Ever since I went to their website the other day I get a GG ad at the beginning of every video on YT. Its like they are stalking me lol.

Dave.

Reactions: Marknmd
Burnt marks are ok but the best steaks I have ever ate had none, the meat and seasoning were great without burned seasonings. you don't have to dress up good meat to enjoy it and some flavorings taste better unburned. But a cross hatched thick steak tastes great before I even have a bite lol

Reactions: Flatrate
But a cross hatched thick steak tastes great before I even have a bite lol
Lol, I hear ya Mike. For me its less about the grill marks and more about the even cooking and flare ups. But the grill marks are a nice bonus.

Dave

Flare ups, lord help me I have had some epic mistakes, years ago a cheap gas grill and a anniversary dinner of 3 T bones, got them almost where I wanted them so shut it off after temping them, walked inside whispered a few things to the bride, grabbed a platter and when I stepped out the door it was ugly. saved 1 of them and had to scrape the dang thing like a piece of burnt toast .

• Wow
Flare ups, lord help me I have had some epic mistakes, years ago a cheap gas grill and a anniversary dinner of 3 T bones, got them almost where I wanted them so shut it off after temping them, walked inside whispered a few things to the bride, grabbed a platter and when I stepped out the door it was ugly. saved 1 of them and had to scrape the dang thing like a piece of burnt toast .
Yep have been there before. My last gas grill was a Brinkman, bought it when I bought my house. I don't remember all the details but still had a few minutes to go, ran inside to grab a beer stepped back out. The flare up was coming out of the vent stack and the finish/paint on the outside of the grill was on fire.

After that the grill had a weird chemical smell to it, so it got scrapped, thats when I got my Weber.

Dave

I find my Grill Grates worth it but in fairness I needed new grates when I bought mine. I've never had grill marks as nice as they produce. I find the cleaning is more than balanced by never having to worry about rusting grates ever again. Lack of flareups is a plus too. Don't forget you can turn them over and almost have a griddle to cook on too. Not for runny things but smash burgers work well.

Thanks for chiming in Joe! I am getting ready to fire my grill up in a bit and going to measure to make sure I get the right ones. But gonna give myself till tomorrow to think about it.

Dave

I had a Holland grill for years that was great. I replaced it about 5 years ago with another Holland and it was nowhere near as good as the first one. Guess that's why they are out of business now. This latest grill had very inconsistent temps across the grate. I bought the GG for a more consistent heating surface and it really made a difference. They are more work to clean.

Well just wanted to say THANK YOU to all who replied!

In my opinion a lot of pros were shared with some cons, but thats what I was looking for, good honest feedback from like minded people I can trust.

So this morning I got home for the grind and finally made up my mind and just placed the order. Almost went with the half set and toyed the idea around in my mind for a bit, but ended up get the full set.

Thanks again!

Dave

Reactions: gmc2003 and Marknmd
It was weird doing the first cook with them. So used to the grill sizzle and pop, now its just a constant sizzle with light smoke rolling out the back. Best part, no flare ups!

Dave

Reactions: seenred and schlotz
Update Time!

Well I got some time in now with these things, overall I can say I am very glad I got them. Have cooked many steaks on them, since really thats all I use the Weber for. The other day did some burgers as a test. For the last few years have only done burgers on the Blackstone or in a CI skillet, I mean if you know you know....

Wow these things just flat out work! Got some flame on the initial flip but quickly went away, cooked them up in no time filling the area with a nice aroma and the burgers were excellent, it might become my go to method....

The one thing I will highly recommend to anyone considering picking them up is get the cleaning tool. I have various cleaning brushes and figured I could make something work. Wrong! Back in April I was cooking four beautiful Ribeyes, and there was some previous build up in some of the channels and boom flare up.

I got the right tool and it cleans the GG's quick and easy and haven't had another problem, I honestly feel they are easier to clean than any other grate I've came across.

Dave

Agree, very important to clean the GrillGrates while it's warming up and well below 400º so their special brush bristles won't begin to melt. Usually give mine a brush around 250-300º.

Agree, very important to clean the GrillGrates while it's warming up and well below 400º so their special brush bristles won't begin to melt. Usually give mine a brush around 250-300º.
Thats good to know, I honestly didn't know that was a thing. Thank you!

Dave

Reactions: schlotz
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky