Funky Smell After Resting Smoked Brisket in Cooler

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

phoenixsmoke

Original poster
Aug 28, 2016
Hi All,

After smoking brisket/beef ribs, I rest them on the counter until it cools to about 170-180 F internal. Then I'll keep it wrapped in butcher paper and then wrap in foil. I place it in an Igloo lined with towels for 1-3 hours. When I pull it from the cooler it has a funky odor. The odor usually goes away a few minutes after unwrapping. However, I smoked some beef ribs a few weeks ago and noticed the same odor and the odor did not go away and I could taste it when eating the ribs. I'm pretty sure they are not rancid as no one got sick.

Has anyone else noticed this after resting smoked beef? Any solutions?

Thanks!

I usually get my meat from Costco and sometimes the local grocery store. I don't think it's the quality of the meat. Maybe it's just me and my sense of smell.

I've also rested in a soft cooler and an electric smoker...same result. I always wash the towels after each use (I don't use towels in the electric smoker of course) so I eliminated the towels. Also, I wrap in foil so it should keep out smells from any of the vessels I use.

Ok, well another wild guess, maybe something in the roll of butcher paper your using? just try to eliminate each possible cause one by one.

Reactions: phoenixsmoke
Coolers and towels stink after resting for a while. Its normal.
I had a brisky in a cooler for hours before I got it to where I needed to present it. The cooler stunk but the meat was fine and I came home with a trophy. IMHO, it's probably due to the temperature and moisture trapped in the cooler that just makes a swampy, damp odor...

BTW, ever been to or cooked in an in-ground pit BBQ? When the pit is opened the smell is usually bad but I've never found it to affect the taste of the meat.

Reactions: phoenixsmoke
Coolers and towels stink after resting for a while. Its normal.
I had a brisky in a cooler for hours before I got it to where I needed to present it. The cooler stunk but the meat was fine and I came home with a trophy. IMHO, it's probably due to the temperature and moisture trapped in the cooler that just makes a swampy, damp odor...

BTW, ever been to or cooked in an in-ground pit BBQ? When the pit is opened the smell is usually bad but I've never found it to affect the taste of the meat.
I think this makes the most sense and agree that it does not affect the taste of the meat. Thanks!

I actually have noticed mine does that as well. But mine have never tasted like the smell. So not sure why it did that.
I'm glad I'm not the only one noticing this. I think pit 4 brains summed it up best about towels in a warm, damp environment in a cooler with steamy beef creates that funky smell.

99% cooler. mine does it every time. never smell it with ice and beers, but throw a hot chunk of meat and it has a funky smell when opened. washed bleached, sanitized, sun soaked, don't matter.

Do a big party about every month.
Had the same problem, but now use a $3.99 harbor freight moving blanket, and go back and forth between two 128qt coolers. Toss the blanket about every 4 mos, and no stink, (and my wife never yells at me)…

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky