Fruit preserves for Bbq sauce.

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

SmokinEdge

Legendary Pitmaster
Original poster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Jan 18, 2020
Western Colorado
For the longest time I have made an apricot glaze for ham, mostly, but also for pork and chicken. It’s a very simple process. I use about 1/2 pint of jam, add to that about 2Tbs soy sauce (can use low sodium) about 1Tbs garlic powder, onion powder if you like, fresh cracked pepper. Then add any Chile heat you like. I use things like Chile molido puro, Chile del arbol, and Chile pequine, but you use whatever floats your boat. I sometimes also add about 1/2 fresh squeezed lemon, or lime, just to add a little sour and brighten it up. You can use berry preserves as well, whatever you like. This simple glaze replaces traditional bbq sauce in summer for us. It’s bright, sweet, but yet still savory. Just throwing this out there. I have a halved chicken soaking in smoke now and will apply some peach glaze at finish. I also injected this bird with a butter/Chile and garlic mix. I’ll post up pics at the finish.
8F543A62-6581-4C83-BE6B-B97440FB628F.jpeg

At the end of a 250* cook on chicken, just hit the birds with a propane torch. The skin shrinks and crisps right up.
252CE6D7-C11A-45A0-A389-084A4F8D083F.jpeg

Attachments

• 3CCCBDEC-6284-4178-9072-D7D9BF48589A.jpeg
    3CCCBDEC-6284-4178-9072-D7D9BF48589A.jpeg
    197.9 KB · Views: 14
That sounds and looks fantastic .
This is what I use on ham . Love the apricot , but I bet the peach is awesome .
That chicken looks awesome bud .
20200614_153407.jpg

Reactions: SmokinEdge
That sounds pretty good.
I got a ton of choke cherry syrup and jelly I have thought about using but not sure what to mix it with.

Ah, a touch of sweet and a touch of heat dialed in exactly the way you want it. There are pepper jellies out there but I like your idea of starting with something like apricot or apple jam and using it as a base. Plus, if you only need 1/4 cup, that's all you make.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky