For all you smashburger fans

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
What is th reasoning behind salting the onion?
You guys are too smart for me. I'd say flavor. I always salt my onions when I grill/sautee them for my morning eggs. And I use Lawry's garlic salt. Far better getting that added flavor JUST into the onions, and then the onions into the eggs or burger, than mixing the garlic salt in with the whole works. I like having different flavors in my mouth at once.

I am looking forward to doing this with a smashburger.

Oh, and did anyone find it odd that the video showed smashing to a very thin burger, but when transferring to the bun they became 3x thicker???

Reactions: jcam222
This thread inspired me to make Oklahoma smash burgers last night! I'd never even heard of them until a short time ago. I cooked mine on a small stovetop griddle, double patty, each with a ton of salted/squeezed thin onions on top before the smash, cheese slices added to each after the flip. They were really good.

As with previous attempts at smash burgers, I find them hard to make indoors without setting off the smoke alarm, even though I now moved it one room further from the kitchen. I end up opening a lot of windows, and the smoke still just hangs in the air for an hour. I guess it's nature's way of telling me I should get a Blackstone and cook outside.

I know I'm going to get flamed for even suggesting this, but soaking some dried minced onions in hot water for a while, draining them, and then smashing them into your burger is pretty darn good. No crying either!
81M2LZ9CuCL.jpeg

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky