FOB ribs or not...chime in

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

jokensmoken

Master of the Pit
Original poster
Dec 7, 2016
Whitmore Lake Michigan
So, I love me some ribs...I've been cooking them for decades, every cut and way imaginable and usually won't turn em down regardless of how they're cooked (that's led to eating some pretty scary ribs...lol)
If you like ribs and take your time with them I don't think there's a wrong way except.maybe boiling them...
BUT, I do have a favorite these days.
I like SL cut with a Memphis style rub smoked with apple and cherry chunks, and a very very light sauce burned on on a smoking hot grill. I don't prefer FOB ribs.
I.like a little pull and a little chew to my ribs.
I all but got shouted down at a local pub last night when BBQ and ribs came up in conversation.
I even had one guy absolutely insist that boiling ribs first was the one and only way to cook good ribs...well needless to say I didn't pay much attention to anything he had to say after that...lol.
BUT everyone else in the conversation insisted that ribs had to be FOB tender and a saucy mess or they weren't done right.
Now I'm thinking maybe they're rib eating experience is limited to chain restaurant ribs where that's usually how they're cooked, but I am curious; am I in the minority here or do most people really prefer messy FOB ribs.
Chime in...

Walt

I prefer a little pull and a little chew, but it's likely that most people have only ever had FOTB or too much chew. It's easy to get them to FOTB. It's easy to make them too hard, dry, and chewy. It't hard to get them just right, easier if you use the Texas Crutch. Broasting them in foil is no guarantee of perfection, but at least when they aren't perfect they are more likely to be FOTB. That's way better than hard, dry, and chewy.

Agreed...my suspicion is that most folks have had either tough or FOB ribs; not juicy tender on the bone ribs.
Consequently they assume the only good ribs must be FOB.

Walt

I can tell you in my BBQ experience that most people (not BBQ/smoker enthusiasts but everyday people) enjoy fob ribs.

I like a bit of tug but then clean bone ribs. I'm a St. Louis guy as well. I feel like the average person who enjoys ribs is more of a fob, babyback fan.

I use a variety of woods/pellets depending on who I'm making them for. It's usually a combo or hickory and then cherry, apple, or peach.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky