First try at smoked butter...think I blew it.

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

clifish

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
May 25, 2019
Long Island, NY
So I smoked 8 quarter sticks of salted butter in the MES (OK, Smokey Hollow but same thing) used a tray with Hickory dust ( all I had). It was not producing much smoke as it was windy so I lit both sides. let them smoke for 4-5 hours, then rested in the fridge for a couple hours. I don't know if hickory was the wrong choice or they need to equalize in the fridge for a while but it was rather strong.

Any thoughts if I did something wrong? or will more time in the fridge mellow it out like a block of smoked cheese?

yeah, I did not want to use hickory but it was the only dust I had.

I wrapped them up as best I could and will leave in the box for a couple weeks. Still a very strong taste this morning. Next time, I will use less time and a lighter pellet in a tube. I think hickory was just the wrong profile to use.

May need to try butter. When I smoke cheese I only go for 3-4 hrs with one end of dust lit. Could throw a stick in a Mississippi pot roast or other recipe with butter if it doesn't mellow.

Reactions: clifish
Another idea if it doesn't mellow out enough... let it soften and add an unsmoked stick with it and mix together.

Ryan

Reactions: clifish
Are you trying the butter straight up and deciding it's too strong?

I'm betting once it's mixed in with some mashed potatoes or used on some toast or mixed with some flour to make a roux.. it'll be just perfect. the idea with smoked ingredients it just to add that hint of smoke... like smoked salt and the like.. the butter may be smokey on the outside but there is much more butter on the inside that isn't smoked.

Reactions: mike243
Are you trying the butter straight up and deciding it's too strong?

I'm betting once it's mixed in with some mashed potatoes or used on some toast or mixed with some flour to make a roux.. it'll be just perfect. the idea with smoked ingredients it just to add that hint of smoke... like smoked salt and the like.. the butter may be smokey on the outside but there is much more butter on the inside that isn't smoked.
I put on toast and it was too strong, on a baked potato it was better but I still felt it had an overly strong smoke taste. I would love to try it on a steak and corn on the cob though

Reactions: kilo charlie
I put on toast and it was too strong, on a baked potato it was better but I still felt it had an overly strong smoke taste. I would love to try it on a steak and corn on the cob though

That's gonna be amazing on a steak.. the corn will take it well too. Maybe next time only go 2-3 hours and see how you like that compared to the ones you just smoked.

I always tell people to keep a notebook so they can review what they've done and how they wanna change it next time.

I've also noticed people oversmoking their cheese going for that dark color vs flavor. It's my opinion based on my own experience that you should be able to cut off a slice of cheese or butter right out of the smoker and it should taste good. Yes, it'll mellow in the fridge, but it it's too much smoke it's not going to go from bad to good.

Your butter can be saved by scraping off the smoked part on one or two sides until it's more to your liking. No need to throw it away or anything like that

Reactions: mike243 and clifish
That's gonna be amazing on a steak.. the corn will take it well too. Maybe next time only go 2-3 hours and see how you like that compared to the ones you just smoked.

I always tell people to keep a notebook so they can review what they've done and how they wanna change it next time.

I've also noticed people oversmoking their cheese going for that dark color vs flavor. It's my opinion based on my own experience that you should be able to cut off a slice of cheese or butter right out of the smoker and it should taste good. Yes, it'll mellow in the fridge, but it it's too much smoke it's not going to go from bad to good.

Your butter can be saved by scraping off the smoked part on one or two sides until it's more to your liking. No need to throw it away or anything like that
Thanks, I was concered as the butter had color so I let it ride. At least it was only $5.00 in butter and not a $100 brisket...lol. Yes my notes are in this thread. Next time, lighter flavored pellet and taste every hour.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky