First time with my new pizza oven!

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

K9BIGDOG

Meat Mopper
Original poster
SMF Premier Member
Jul 7, 2017
New York
For Christmas the wife got me the pizza oven attachment for my Camp Chef Sidekick. I've been dying to try it out, just waiting for a free weekend and some decent weather here in NY. I gotta say, the pizza was awesome! I used my own recipe for the pizza sauce, and frozen dough I got at Restaurant Depot. I'll get to making my own dough pretty soon, but the dough from RD was actually pretty decent. I did four pizzas and by the 3rd and 4th one I was really getting the hang of stretching the dough.
165915185_10216402800857336_6413672712672539321_n.jpg
165744999_10216402801337348_2514877018959583034_n.jpg
165723333_10216403154466176_3436984678559338532_n.jpg
166125894_10216402801577354_7876710177976931837_n.jpg

You'd fall behind! It would already be gone,,,,by me! Nice job K9BIGDOG K9BIGDOG . Any idea how hot the stone got?
I kept the stone around 500-550F. I used one of those IR thermometer guns. It took a little bit t come up to temp because I wanted to heat it slowly so I would crack the stone.

Reactions: Steve H
Nice job, it looks pretty good. I’ve been wanting to pull the trigger on one. I cook pizza at least once a week.

Reactions: K9BIGDOG
excellent, the Ooni pizza oven I bought a year ago turned out to be one of the best and also worst things I ever bought. Best, obviously because it makes pizza. Worst, because I became obsessed with every detail of different dough types, different temps, and all the techniques. Making pizza from scratch isn't difficult at all, but if you want to excel there are so many little things. You'll love your purchase, and those pics look good. If you plan to take pictures of the next you make, a pic of the bottom too would be lovely, if you don't mind.

I didn't think to take a photo of the bottom, but I can tell you that I was very aware not burning the bottom and I pulled each one out when the bottom got to a nice even, crispy brown. I found that the pizza spatula is a really important tool to have for turning the pie and checking the bottom. Just as important to have as a pizza peel for sure.

Nice, that’s my fav toppings on pizza, I would grab it and run..lol. Very cool that you have access to Restauran Depot! my buddy hooks me up with the Grande mozz and ezzo pep from RD, highly recommend those products if your store offers it. Check out pizza making.com, a forum with lots of info....enjoy!
Jim

Reactions: K9BIGDOG
excellent, the Ooni pizza oven I bought a year ago turned out to be one of the best and also worst things I ever bought. Best, obviously because it makes pizza. Worst, because I became obsessed with every detail of different dough types, different temps, and all the techniques. Making pizza from scratch isn't difficult at all, but if you want to excel there are so many little things. You'll love your purchase, and those pics look good. If you plan to take pictures of the next you make, a pic of the bottom too would be lovely, if you don't mind.
Man, ain't that the truth!!!
I'm still trying to make my perfect Naples style pizza dough I'm so close yet so far away.
Everyone loves the pizza but it's not quite what I'm in search of YET even after taking a pizza coarse with Anthony Falco of Robert's pizza at the Napa Culinary Institute in Napa CA.
Once you nail your dough recipe everything else is simple. I had to take a break because it was going to drive me insane, talk about compulsive I was going to drive myself and family nuts.:emoji_joy:
BBQ, has taken a backseat on my quest for the perfect dough and my cooking method.
I will get back into it soon, I have too I can't quit it's a quest I have to complete, its really bugging me.
I've had multiple conversations with world class Bakers, Chefs and flour producers. I don't really care for the group of guys on the pizza making forum they seem to thumb their nose at newcomers questions like they are revealing where the Ark is buried or something in my opinion and there is an arrogance that they extrude that makes me want to reach through the computer and strangle them.
Damn, pizza nerds.:emoji_joy::emoji_joy::emoji_joy:

Great work! That is an awesome new gadget to spend too much time with! Pizza looks amazing!

Looks awesome! Now ya making me think I need one also! Sssshhhh...don't tell my wife lol!

Ryan

Perfectly round pizzas are boring. I’ll take a homemade amoeba pizza any day. The first 5 pizzas on my new Gozney were all sacrificial. I figured out that maybe pros could cook at 900 degrees but I certainly could not.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky