First Smoker Build! 24" Pipe Plans Feedback

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

blackfantasy

Original poster
Mar 17, 2021
Greetings!

Been following this forum quite a while and have decided to join and start my adventure of building my first smoker ever. I have a piece of 24" pipe and have started the plans. I've used the calculators and everything seems to be pretty close, just looking for some feedback based on my mockup.

I'm not sure if my door will stay open based on the stack placement, will need to play with it a bit, I can always offset the door to the right and move the stack closer to the left edge as well. Also still need to calculate the FB door size as well but I'm not too concerned with it.

Thanks for any comments or suggestions!

999925d7-629e-4fd0-8c40-5e397df8f1ba.png

Last edited:
I will keep a plenum in mind, prefer to do a stack out the top.

I revised some things a bit, 4" stack as 6" was too much and shuffled the door over. daveomak daveomak Would you say everything looks good? Thanks!

b287fbc0-4c1e-45aa-98c6-51e9de9fa1db.png

If you have followed the tutorial, you will have a great smoker....

For the top mounted stack, insert the opening, of said stack, to about 6" above the food grate... and have the top of the stack extend ~35" above the CC...

The opening between the FB and CC.... I would have it follow the contour of the CC and skip the 4 sided cutout....

Looks like a great design! 24" diameter is a great size to work with.

I'm a fan of the plenum, as it's easier to get my exhaust entrance at grate height, and will force the smoke to move across the entire length of the cook chamber. I also have more control in the transition from cook chamber to exhaust stack. I can gradually angle the plenum to funnel the smoke from a 24" wide horizontal cook chamber, to a 6" wide vertical exhaust stack.

It's also worth noting that a stack out the top will tend to drip nasty condensate into the cooking chamber at times and you really don't want that draining onto your cooking racks......

Best regards to all,

Well, 1 week later and she's done and she works great! Can post the full build process if anyone interested.
I’d be really interested to see more pictures if you have them please. As propane tanks aren’t easy to get hold of in the U.K. I’m looking into building a RF smoker from some pipe of a similar diameter.

slowly teaching myself to weld at the moment in anticipation ! Great job on your smoker by the way.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky