First Sausage Links

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Nefarious

Master of the Pit
Original poster
Oct 10, 2021
Seattle WA
Well, I finally did it, I made some fresh Italian sausage and attempted to stuff my first links.

PXL_20221023_213209828.jpg

First it is clear I need to do it several more times to get the result better. Air pockets everywhere, and I had one burst. Those links did not make the photo.

There must be an easy way to get the casings on the feeder tube easier. It took more time to put the casing on the tube then to actually stuff the sausage.

While learning I should probably do smaller batches. It was too difficult at the end to manage the long tube of sausage while attempting to crank out more.

When can I cut them into the links the links are really soft and I suspect the ends will unravel when cut.

open the end of the casing with your fingers and then dip the end in the soak water to fill the casing with 1-2tsps. of water. wet the horn with water and then slide the casings on. It also helps to run the meat to the tip of the horn to prevent the casing from grabbing the tip of the horn as you slide the casing on the horn.

Reactions: DougE and Nefarious
open the end of the casing with your fingers and then dip the end in the soak water to fill the casing with 1-2tsps. of water. wet the horn with water and then slide the casings on. It also helps to run the meat to the tip of the horn to prevent the casing from grabbing the tip of the horn as you slide the casing on the horn.
That was the biggest problem, the casing getting caught on the end of the tip. I appreciate your help, thanks

That was the biggest problem, the casing getting caught on the end of the tip. I appreciate your help, thanks
Make sure the casings will slide freely on the horn size you're using. If not, go to a smaller horn. The horn doesn't need to be as big as the finished sausage. You control the fill as it comes off the horn.

Make sure the casings will slide freely on the horn size you're using. If not, go to a smaller horn. The horn doesn't need to be as big as the finished sausage. You control the fill as it comes off the horn.
Yes, I started with one that was a tighter fit and would have takes a week to get the casing on. I went with a smaller one and it was easier. Thanks.

More practice will give you less blow outs but even some expirenced guys can be focused on something else while stuffing and squeeze alittle too hard for too long and get a blow out I wouldn’t worry about it. First time I stuffed with sheep and hog casings I had several blowouts no big deal. I’ve seen on two guys and a cooler YouTube channel he suggest using baking soda while soaking to soften it up although I haven’t tested that method yet.

There must be an easy way to get the casings on the feeder tube easier. It took more time to put the casing on the tube then to actually stuff the sausage.
Exactly why I went to the pre-tubed casings.
Yours look fine and like tbern said the taste is the important part. You also know exactly what's in them. You're on your way!

Exactly why I went to the pre-tubed casings.
So, I think mine are meant to be easy to put on the filler tube, they are already on plastic pieces to make it easier to use. The problem is, all of the advice wants them soaked for some time and to have water run through the inside of the casing. They come with heavy salt

PXL_20221025_194510256.jpg

I have to deal with this soon, how do you manage them for long periods of time?

So, I think mine are meant to be easy to put on the filler tube, they are already on plastic pieces to make it easier to use. The problem is, all of the advice wants them soaked for some time and to have water run through the inside of the casing. They come with heavy salt

View attachment 646954

I have to deal with this soon, how do you manage them for long periods of time?
Those are pre-tubed. Just take one, rinse the salt off, put it in a small tupperware container in water for a while. You don't have to flush them out. It's already been done. I leave it in the fridge overnight and rinse again and back in the water in the morning on the counter 'till I'm ready to stuff. Don't take it off the plastic! Slide the small end over your horn, grab the casing with one hand and pull the plastic out leaving the casings on the horn. A matter of seconds.
I'm not sure what you mean by managing them, but for storage I add a good amount of NON-IODIZED salt to the bag to cover and put that bag in a zip-loc bag. They'll keep almost forever.

Reactions: Nefarious
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky