First Chicken Smoke

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

ddow229

Meat Mopper
Original poster
Jul 10, 2022
Christian County, MO
I took today off from work as a just because day and decided early to do a chicken in the smoker. I had a successful pork loin so I am feeling a little froggy.
I had a whole chicken in the refrigerator, so I seasoned it up with some S&P and planned to follow the Mad Scientist method of two hours at 225 or until we hit 145 internal, then bump up the heat to 325 until done and get some crunchy skin. I am cooking on an OK Joe Longhorn so maintaining 225 is proving difficult. About the lowest I could get consistently was 245-260. I decided that was good. Just a hair over two hours, we hit 145. I cranked the heat up and tried to stay under 350. Mostly successful until I spiked it to 390 for about five minutes. In the end, it didn’t matter.
Last week, my wife went to a local bbq stand and got some smoked pulled chicken and commented how she never likes smoked chicken because it is always dry. This, my friends, changed her mind! Juice was running out of the bird. I had made some Alabama white sauce and she made cheesy corn and salsa and we had a meal! My gosh, tender and juicy with crispy skin. I really am happy with my first two cooks.

Attachments

• D995B8C3-EAED-4EC8-AC6D-75FFF989F1AD.jpeg
    D995B8C3-EAED-4EC8-AC6D-75FFF989F1AD.jpeg
    189 KB · Views: 38
  • 45E694CE-152F-44E8-B46B-58B8CDA8B5F3.jpeg
    45E694CE-152F-44E8-B46B-58B8CDA8B5F3.jpeg
    165.4 KB · Views: 36
  • A98B3343-FBE4-4302-A6B0-2DD0EE0AC4F3.jpeg
    A98B3343-FBE4-4302-A6B0-2DD0EE0AC4F3.jpeg
    205 KB · Views: 38
You did great by the pictures and the process.
I have not done a whole bird in the smoker yet

That will change soon just picked up a couple small chicks the other day.

David

Little more info on your wife's cheesy corn and salsa

David

David

David
Cheesy corn is one small can shoe peg corn(she says you can use any but shoe peg is the best) , one small can of green chilis butter, a little milk, s&p, maybe a little sugar, a light dusting of cheddar cheese, and about a cup of cream cheese. Warm to get everything happy. This was enough for us for the two of for one meal plus enough for my lunch the next day.
Salsa was red onion, yellow bell pepper, peaches(skinned sliced and diced) and some vinegar and sugar. She doesn’t remember the amount, just enough to make it look pretty.
With todays ribs she did some doctored baked beans with brats, left over smoke pork loin, some potato seasoning and something else I don’t remember. Probably vinegar

David

David
So I have three chicken that I was going g to butcher this weekend but it is too hot so they have a week. Then six more that will go sometime next month and then about ten more in another month. We hatch and raise chicken because we eat like three every two weeks. We also have sheep and will have three or four butchered in February. Plus one of good friends does a couple of beef critters every year and we got a whole one last year and this are getting a side with all the roasts and steak. Last one we got prime steak and the rest Hamburg. We have like 150 lbs of burger in the freezer….

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky