First brisket

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

larroyo101

Fire Starter
Original poster
Sep 28, 2020
First brisket came out pretty good just wish I got a little more bark how do I get more bark

Attachments

• 20201017_160426.jpg
    20201017_160426.jpg
    120 KB · Views: 61
  • 20201017_161138.jpg
    20201017_161138.jpg
    133.1 KB · Views: 62
Looks like you have a large fat cap on that brisket. Fat doesn't equate to bark so you may want to trim that up some.

Unwrapped brisket gets better nark than wrapped. Adding some sugar to the rub will help form bark.

JC :emoji_cat:

Reactions: MJB05615
Looks like you have a large fat cap on that brisket. Fat doesn't equate to bark so you may want to trim that up some.

Unwrapped brisket gets better nark than wrapped. Adding some sugar to the rub will help form bark.

JC :emoji_cat:
Thanks for the tips. Yes I didn't do too good of a job on trimming the brisket. That was the hardest part for me. it was pretty moist and flavorful so I was satisfied all in all

Reactions: JC in GB
First brisket came out pretty good just wish I got a little more bark how do I get more bark
Hi there and welcome!!!

Smoke unwrapped the whole time and you will have no issues with bark. Also you avoid the dreaded roast beef flavor you get if you wrap too early.... I mean cmon, you want bbq brisket not oven roast flavors :)

At a smoker temp of 275F degrees the an unwrapped brisket goes for a little over 1hr a pound or so when it passes the tenderness checks using a wooden kabob skewer.

So add 4 hours to that calculation with your meat weight to start a brisket smoke and you will produce an amazing smoked brisket if unwrapped the entire time. The bark and the flavor will be out of this world without any special tricks AND with adding 4 hours to the cook time you will be sure to pull the brisket off either 4 hours before ready to eat OR give yourself 4 hours for it to finish smoking and get tender :)

If it does come off 4 hours early you just tightly double wrap in foil and tightly wrap in 3 bath towels and set on the counter. Then 4-5 hours later when time to cut and serve it will be piping hot and ready to rock for dinner! Trust me it will be piping hot still :)

Good luck on your first attempt and I hope this info helps you out on your next smoke :)

I don't care for bark that resembles or feels like a meteorite. So wrapping isn't an issue for me. Wrapping will soften the bark. I do get a good bark smoking in the 250* range. Also don't wrap before you have a good bark formed. A good coating of rub in that temp range will form a good bark. Also adding a tiny amount of sugar can help in the bark formation.

Chris

Hi there and welcome!!!

Smoke unwrapped the whole time and you will have no issues with bark. Also you avoid the dreaded roast beef flavor you get if you wrap too early.... I mean cmon, you want bbq brisket not oven roast flavors :)

At a smoker temp of 275F degrees the an unwrapped brisket goes for a little over 1hr a pound or so when it passes the tenderness checks using a wooden kabob skewer.

So add 4 hours to that calculation with your meat weight to start a brisket smoke and you will produce an amazing smoked brisket if unwrapped the entire time. The bark and the flavor will be out of this world without any special tricks AND with adding 4 hours to the cook time you will be sure to pull the brisket off either 4 hours before ready to eat OR give yourself 4 hours for it to finish smoking and get tender :)

If it does come off 4 hours early you just tightly double wrap in foil and tightly wrap in 3 bath towels and set on the counter. Then 4-5 hours later when time to cut and serve it will be piping hot and ready to rock for dinner! Trust me it will be piping hot still :)

Good luck on your first attempt and I hope this info helps you out on your next smoke :)
thanks

I don't care for bark that resembles or feels like a meteorite. So wrapping isn't an issue for me. Wrapping will soften the bark. I do get a good bark smoking in the 250* range. Also don't wrap before you have a good bark formed. A good coating of rub in that temp range will form a good bark. Also adding a tiny amount of sugar can help in the bark formation.

Chris
thanks

Chris
thanks

Try using unwaxed butcher paper instead of foil and you get the best of wrapping and not wrapping. The paper keeps the bark intact.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky