FINALLY finished brisket/pastrami semi q-view

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

voldaddy

Meat Mopper
Original poster
Mar 8, 2008
Wow. This is my 2nd smoke, with the frst being 2 fatties. I bought a 4 lb flat last week. I started soaking it Saturday morning around 8 AM, with plans on smoking it around noon. No dice, it rained like pouring piss out of a boot all day. So, I soaked my brisket for around 28 hours, changing the water every 2 hours.

I thought I would plop this small cut of meat in the smoker at 225 for 5-6 hours, foil for a couple, and eat it tonight. BZZZZZZZT. Wrong.

To start with, I thought I had way more spices in my cabinet than I actually do. I was going to use pepper, coriander, and garlic and onion powder. I didn't have enough pepper to grind fresh, so I used canned pepper, I had no coriander, so I used what I had: canned black pepper, Old Bay seasoning (which I NEVER run out of), and garlic powder.

I put it in the MES around 12:00, and it didn't reach 160 until 9 PM! I then double foiled and put it in the cooler for 2 hours. Here it is sliced up. If I do say so myself, it is pretty damn good!

I need a better knife or way to carve, as I was watching the Lady Vols and carving and almost lost a knuckle. I'm thinking of calling in sick tomorrow so I can eat a sandwich for breakfast.
biggrin.gif

ce84009c_vbattach17592.jpg

You're not kidding, that is a small brisket
wink.gif
Q-view needs work.

Anyway, it looks good from what I can see. It's my favorite meat on the smoker so I can appreciate your efforts.

Sorry on the q-view, hence the semi q-view in the title. I grabbed my cell and took the picture with it. You know, if I were to ever get organized, have all of my spices in the cabinet, a good carving knife, my digital camera charged and ready, I'd be dangerous.
PDT_Armataz_01_30.gif

Well, we had sandwiches last night, and they were excellent. I nibbled on the brisket while I was slicing it after I took it out of the cooler. Then, after it sat in the fridge overnight, it tasted a little saltier the next day.

Just my .02 cents, if you are going to do one of these, I would soak overnight at the very minimum.

I'm sitting here now trying to decide what I will smoke this weekend!

Great story Voldaddy. Yep, the obsession just gets worse! pretty soon, you'll be walking through the zoo, and thinking to yourself," I wonder how that would taste, smoked"!

Keep up the good smoke!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky