Exhaust Chimney to Cooking Grate Distance?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

rowdyrawhide

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
Jul 24, 2010
Topeka, KS
I am starting to plan a build (maybe two), and have noticed looking at some of the builds that there are variances in the cook chamber as far as distance from the bottom of the chimney to the cooking grate surface.  I was wondering if there is something to this as far as building heat or smoke in the chamber.  What are the pros and cons of closer or farther away from the grate?  

I am sorry if this question has been asked but I tried a search for it and could find the answers I was looking for.

Thanks 

Aaron

Rowdey, I think the biggest thing is that the stack being lower to the grate keeps the smoke from just flowing up and out to fast. Letting all the heat fly away. On my reverse the stack is about 1/
below the cook grate. I like being a little different so I cut wedges and rewelded my stack to make it look like it was bent and ran it out the end of the cook chamber.

96c54e53_100_5635.jpg

ddf03950_100_5617.jpg

it is all in the builder i do what tom there has show u i think at or below the grate kepts the heat even to the grate heres what i did
0d3c2d8d_100_0257.jpg

cfc2138f_Jenny039.jpg
in this pic in put in a haft moon shap metal thing so it would be at the grate  befor i put this in my temps never got to 200 at the grate 300 and up at the top of my smoker  now with it in i got even heat top the the grate

hope this help               SAWRUFF       Scott

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky