Ever crave those ole tv dinners?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
You Folks all realize that NOTHING from our childhoods was as good as you remember. :emoji_grinning: One of the Blessed things about the mind is that our memories filter out the bad.
Or perhaps just repress it...I possibly need an analyst.

1660775871642.png

• Love
Reactions: negolien
Oh I remember the TV dinners. Took them out of the oven after the directed time and temp. Veggies were cold, and the dessert was like those apple pies at McDonalds. Stuff would sear your entire mouth.

I ate TV dinners when they still had foil on top and there were no microwaves - and they had real food in them! :emoji_astonished:

Anyone ever have Howard Johnson's chicken croquettes? Maaaaaannnn I loved those things!!!

I ate TV dinners when they still had foil on top and there were no microwaves - and they had real food in them! :emoji_astonished:

Anyone ever have Howard Johnson's chicken croquettes? Maaaaaannnn I loved those things!!!
LOL those last 2 posts were spot on lol.

I LOVE making macaroni and beef. Gotta be my favorite food... seriously. I make the beef sauce in huge 8-quart batches and split it and vacuum freeze them in 1 lb batches for all kinds of recipes.

Reactions: Retired Spook

Remember the foil tops that you had to peel away certain sections half way through to brown. I mainly just liked chicken/turkey pot pies.
Remember dating a girl and her parents wanted me to come for supper. Get there and they start bringing out the big frozen pans of Salisbury steak, mashed potatoes, some kind of peas, with a foil covered mixed fruit pie and little ice cream cups with the flat wood spoon. As bad as the food was it was worth it. She was fun.

One house, two parents, three sisters and me looking at one TV. Had the folding tables, Swansons on the menu and settling down for a night of MASH, Barney Miller, Bob Newhart, all in the family and The Jeffersons. My veggies were cold, the potatoes were scalding, the salisbury steak was amazing and the brownie was inedible as always.
I wish they would bring them back..

One house, two parents, three sisters and me looking at one TV. Had the folding tables, Swansons on the menu and settling down for a night of MASH, Barney Miller, Bob Newhart, all in the family and The Jeffersons. My veggies were cold, the potatoes were scalding, the salisbury steak was amazing and the brownie was inedible as always.
I wish they would bring them back..
Sounds about right, at least the way I remember those days, but it was The Andy Griffith Show, Star Trek, Lost In Space, Bewitched, Hogan's Heroes...

What's with the "ole" in the thread title? I'm pleased to report my beloved yellow-box Banquet pot pies in the breakfast sausage and gravy "variety" are back on the shelves at my local Walmart. They ran out mid-way through Covid and I feared they'd never come back.

Alas the price increased a wee bit from 75 cents to $1.19 but hey I deserve an occasional extravagance. Hoping everyone in the now-repaired supply chain got a raise to justify the 60% price inflation.

I cook halfway per microwave directions and the other half in the toaster oven for proper browning perfection...the modern replacement to the aluminum TV tray handles it all.

What's with the "ole" in the thread title? I'm pleased to report my beloved yellow-box Banquet pot pies in the breakfast sausage and gravy "variety" are back on the shelves at my local Walmart. They ran out mid-way through Covid and I feared they'd never come back.

Alas the price increased a wee bit from 75 cents to $1.19 but hey I deserve an occasional extravagance. Hoping everyone in the now-repaired supply chain got a raise to justify the 60% price inflation.

I cook halfway per microwave directions and the other half in the toaster oven for proper browning perfection...the modern replacement to the aluminum TV tray handles it all.
Nice yeah I tend to finish my maria Calanders off in my air fryer for same reason

Oh yeah! Just about every Friday when I was a kid. Using the picture on the box to figure out where to peel back the foil. And the Howard Johnson's chicken croquettes were great. Favorites were fried chicken and Salsbury steak. Hated all the deserts except the apple crisp. That didn't matter if it was hot or cold!

my beloved yellow-box Banquet pot pies in the breakfast sausage and gravy "variety" are back on the shelves at my local Walmart
In the Breakfast freezer area?

Maybe my wife will try this to speed up her beloved Pot Pie lunch. Thanks!

Reactions: negolien
In the Breakfast freezer area?
So that's a thing elsewhere too? All the frozen meals used to be together and all the pot pies were a subset of same. It was "don't ask don't tell" which meal you ate them at!

It still seems to work that way at Walmart. But the High-Class Safeway by me puts the red-box swansons in the "dinner frozen aisle" and the yellow frozen swanson in the "breakfast frozen aisle". I guess it makes sense, I just find it kinda' funny they've rearranged everything by when you eat it.

Still seems to be spot shortages. The Safeway had the Swanson sausage pot pies and now they don't. Walmart seems to have them, but it's the frozen hash browns with included onion and peppers that presently seem to be hard to get . (Now that's some of the best $2 you can spend too, just sayin'.)

And walmart still keeps the hash browns next to frozen peas and carrots...all the veggies together. But Safeway puts hash browns in the breakfast aisle and the peas/carrots in the dinner aisle. And breakfast cereal used to be close to bread. But it moved...next to the frozen breakfast aisle.

• Haha
Reactions: Cody_Mack
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky